Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect to wifi (Resolved).

wifi internet

Best Answer zavalamerry , 28 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is that following the instructions that I provided as well, I ask as I am not asking for a snapshot but rather the Publishing a Speccy profile to the Web option that is explained here

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Please forgive me for butting in here guys, but I am feeling sympathy for zavalamerry in his/her struggles to try and provide a Speccy url. :(

With the greatest respect Phill, your last message may be a bit confusing to poor zavalamerry, as unless I am very mistaken he/she does need to click on 'Publish Snapshot' first in order to generate a url - as indeed the link you gave confirms.

It seems to me that zavalamerry is saying that he/she has followed all the instructions in Freebooter's post #8, but that for some unknown reason got a message saying: 'A connection with the server could not be established'.

Zavalmerry, I have no idea why this would be - I am unfortunately far from being any kind of expert on these matters myself, so will have to leave it to the others! :(  Did you check that you were connected to the internet okay when you attempted to do it?

With regard to not being able to post a screenshot here, just out of interest did you save it as a jpg file? If you did, then I see no reason why you should not be able to attach the file.

I hope I am not confusing you even more by poking my nose in here! :)

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill and Channeal ... again thank you for information  and patience.  I opened the instructions that Freebooter sent me (after prompted by Phill) :oops: I followed the instructions just as he wrote them.  When I tried to publish a snapshot I got the error message that my computer could not connect with a server.  I tried multiple times and reread Freebooters instructions many times.  Yes, my Linksys usb dongle was in a usb port in my tower.  I then clicked on Phill's link that he sent me and again followed the instructions.  Once again I got the same error message about couldn't connect to the server.  Frustrated, I uninstalled Speccy then installed it again.  Once again I followed both Phill and Freebooter's suggestions in an attempt to obtain the URL requested.  Same error message.  At this time what are my options?  Do I get a better dongle with a better reception? Wait and hope the update to the cable system will improve the signal? :headscratch:  

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

That's very strange zavalamerry! :(

Have you tried waiting several minutes after opening Speccy before trying to click on 'Publish Snapshot'?

The only other option I can think of that might be tried is running the Speccy debug mode, which the others might be able to help you with. Perhaps the others might also know of an alternative to Speccy that you could try. If all else fails and you really want an answer to this, there is a Speccy forum that you might read through to see if you can find a similar problem. 

Good luck with solving this; I really hope you find a solution. :)

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Good call about the Firewall, Freebooter.

See https://support.micr...ewall-on-or-off

Is Windows Defender the only antivirus you are running btw?

Chris

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Just one more thought, Freebooter. You told zavalamerry he could save the Speccy file as text, but doesn't the text version include information such as the Windows key which should not be published online? I know that the version you get with the 'Publish Snapshot' option removes some info that shouldn't be divulged online, so just thought I would double check.

Chris.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Attached File  MERRYZ-PC.txt   347.92KB   513 downloadsWow.. a lot of information...Thanks Freebooter and Channeal for the suggestions.  Some of the information is a little confusing to me but I will start by trying to determine if my firewall is blocking access.  I hope the link you gave me Channeal will answer that question since I don't know how to check otherwise.  Yes Windows defender is the only antivirus that is running.  In an attempt to use the link Channeal gave me my computer said there was no internet connection.  I get this error message quite often which is frustrating.  I have to wiggle the Linksys dongel and try again.  I did get to the page the link sent me to but I am not sure which artlcle I am to read.  

Second... I ran Speccy again, saved a txt file and have tried to attach it.  :upset:  But I apologize I am not sure if I did because using this forum is new to me.  I did open the file and couldn't find Serial number: entry. 

I am not sure how to run a Speccy debug. 

Question: If my firewall was blocking Speccy wouldn't it block all of the results?  When I run Speccy I get a report telling me about my computer.:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX 14 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-26)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2) 32 °C
Graphics
1821A (1280x1024@75Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics (Gigabyte)
Storage
119GB ADATA SP 900 SATA Disk Device (SSD) 30 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

I hope with my limited understanding of computers I was able to get some of the information that was requested.  If I missed something please let me know.  

I so very much appreciate your help and suggestions Freebooter and Channeal.  At this point if this doesn't answer the problem would you advise that I get a better dongel?  If so, which would you suggest? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for my absence folks.

With the greatest respect Phill, your last message may be a bit confusing to poor zavalamerry, as unless I am very mistaken he/she does need to click on 'Publish Snapshot' first in order to generate a url - as indeed the link you gave confirms.

Quite correct Chris, got my screenshots and snapshots mixed up  :blush: sorry zavalamerry and thanks for sticking with it to get us the requested info  :thumbsup:

Yes Windows defender is the only antivirus that is running.

As mentioned by FreeBooter you should not have more than one AV installed on a computer as it will cause all sorts of problems and can actually leave you with no protection at all, from your Speccy report;

Windows Defender

Windows Defender Enabled
Firewall
Firewall Enabled
Display Name Panda Firewall
Antivirus
Panda Free Antivirus
Antivirus Disabled
Virus Signature Database Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus Enabled
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Antivirus Disabled

Bitdefender and Panda AV may be shown to be disabled but they will be trying to load and then end up causing conflicts with Defender, both the Windows and Panda Firewalls are shown to be running which may explain your problems with internet connectivity.

Uninstall Bitdefender from Installed apps.

Uninstall all traces of Panda following the guide here

Once the above has been done, have Defender scan your computer and to check for updates, this not intended as any form of malware guidance only suggesting you check that the computer is adequately protected.

I have to wiggle the Linksys dongel and try again. 

We will come back to this once you are securely protected.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill and Freebooter you are very helpful.  When my brother in law built the computer he put Panda as my antivirus.  I didn't like it (don't remember why) and tried over and over to uninstall it... no luck.  So I will try using the above information.  As for Bitdefender I was sure I had uninstalled it but guess I didn't.  I have had this problem with other programs that I have; such as Canon information.  I no longer have that Canon but use an Epson instead yet I cannot get rid of Canon.  Are these kinds of issues pertinent to what we are  trying to resolve?

When I opened the file I saw that those programs were still active which puzzeled me... again thank you for the information.  Am I doing something wrong when I try to uninstall? 

I thought a firewall was to protect my computer from harmful programs and threats.  So why would it block out speccy?  Isn't my malware supposed to be running at all times to scan programs before I  download them?

I have malwarebytes for my malware protection/ search.  

I will have to re-read both of your comments and advice later tonight then I will get back with you guys again. 

BTW... sounds like I have more than one issue that could ultimately destroy or handicap my computer 

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Thank you again Freebooter for the information to download my Linsys driver.  Now I am stumped.  I downloaded the driver for windows 10.  It was a zip file so I extracted the data.  Then I was asked where I wanted the data sent.  Automatically the "download" file was suggested, so I accepted to place the file in download.  Now what?  The information is in the download file

You said this was the adapter driver?  On the website it suggested that I should :  After downloading the driver, you need to load the file to your adapter to improve its functionality. ? How do I do this?? 

I am falling asleep at the  computer so I will finish the rest of the suggested tasks later. 

Merry

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I thought a firewall was to protect my computer from harmful programs and threats.  So why would it block out speccy?  Isn't my malware supposed to be running at all times to scan programs before I  download them?

Mentioned this in my reply #27

both the Windows and Panda Firewalls are shown to be running which may explain your problems with internet connectivity.

It can cause all sorts of problems and until you only have the one AV and Firewall running there is not much we can do I`m afraid zavalamerry.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Attached File  MERRYZ-PC 2.txt   347.92KB   434 downloadsThank you Phill and Freebooter.  I have spent the last two days trying to remove Panda and Bitdefender.  Bitdefender looked like it could be deleted through my add/delete programs so I attempted to do so 3 x and could not get it to uninstall.  So I went on line to see the recommended way to uninstall Bitdefender.  Fat Security said:  A word to the wise: Don't use the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" menu to uninstall it!

Why?

Because you will have a "Bitdefender Agent" app left and you won't be able to uninstall it.

Well, I had already attempted to uninstall with add/remove program and when it didn't work then I went looking for help.  Fat Security provided a link to uninstall Bitdefender.  I downloaded the uninstall and I have ran it 5 times and I continue to get the error message that "Bitdefender was removed with errors".  After each attempt to uninstall I rebooted. I ran the Speccy snapshot to see if the program had been removed and it hadn't. (please see the new attachment). 

I ran into a similar problem with Panda. Found the uninstall program to download and did so.  Ran the program and said it was sucessfull in uninstalling Panda, but as you will see in the Speccy snapshot it hasn't been removed just disabled. 

I also turned off my firewall to see if that was blocking the uninstall.  Bottom line: Neither Panda or Bitdefender are uninstalled just "disabled" 

Freebooter thank you for your help in loading new drivers for Linksys AE6000.  I have done what you have suggested and I still get messages that I have no internet connection or that the connection is poor.  

I think I have completed all of the requested tasks from both Freebooter and Phill.  If I have missed something please let me know and I will do the required task. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Merry,

The steps recommended by Bitdefender for removing their products are explained here

I ran into a similar problem with Panda. Found the uninstall program to download and did so.  Ran the program and said it was sucessfull in uninstalling Panda, but as you will see in the Speccy snapshot it hasn't been removed just disabled. 

Noticed that the following details that I have highlighted in red are the exact same in both of your Speccy logs, this suggests that they are the same report;

Uptime
Current Session
Current Time 5/6/2017 4:14:33 AM
Current Uptime 190,735 sec (2 d, 04 h, 58 m, 55 s)
Last Boot Time 5/3/2017 11:15:38 PM

I also turned off my firewall to see if that was blocking the uninstall.  Bottom line: Neither Panda or Bitdefender are uninstalled just "disabled" 

Lets try a different approach;

Can you post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

You are welcome btw  :)

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Freebooter and Phill, I am frustrated I try so hard to follow the directions given however it seems that my computer is different than yours.  For instance: Phill asked me to run Autoruns and to : Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option. I was able to get an autoruns printout but was unable to hide microsoft and windows entries without running the report twice (my autoruns report did not combine the options).  Therefore I am sending two reports one for microsoft and one for windows entries.  Also wanted to mention that I read the tutorial for autoruns and did what was suggested to run my reports as administrator.  When I extracted the zip file I got several .exe choices so I ran the one with 64.exe.  

As for the Revo Uninstaller I was only able to get rid of Bitdefender.  Panda wouldn't uninstall. Looking at the settings/system/apps Bitdefender no longer shows as a current app on my system.  However Panda cloud cleaner continues to be listed.  When I try to uninstall it with Revo I continue to get the error message:   File "C:\Program files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud cleaner\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. 

Again, I have spent the last two days trying to follow both of your instructions but it seems that my version of Windows 10 must be different than yours. 

I have been asking around for help here where I live and I am not getting very far.  Yesterday I was given a D-Link simultaneous dual band N (dual band gigabit router).  He wasn't sure if it would help and I don't have a clue how to determine if it is the answer to my problem nor do I know how to set it up. 

I am so appreciative of all your patience and help Phill and Freebooter.  I am frustrated and can only imagine you guys are too.  So where do I go from here? 

I am attaching a speccy report I generated today.  I hope it isn't a duplicate. 

Merry

Edit by phillpower2: Removed members Windows product key from Speccy report for security. 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries Merry, you did ok there  :thumbsup:

How is your internet connection when using the alternative Linksys USB adaptor.

As for the Revo Uninstaller I was only able to get rid of Bitdefender.  Panda wouldn't uninstall. Looking at the settings/system/apps Bitdefender no longer shows as a current app on my system.  

However Panda cloud cleaner continues to be listed.  When I try to uninstall it with Revo I continue to get the error message:   File "C:\Program files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud cleaner\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. 

From your reply #28

I have spent the last two days trying to remove Panda and Bitdefender.  Bitdefender looked like it could be deleted through my add/delete programs so I attempted to do so 3 x and could not get it to uninstall.  So I went on line to see the recommended way to uninstall Bitdefender.  Fat Security said:  A word to the wise: Don't use the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" menu to uninstall it!

Why?

Because you will have a "Bitdefender Agent" app left and you won't be able to uninstall it.

Well, I had already attempted to uninstall with add/remove program and when it didn't work then I went looking for help.  Fat Security provided a link to uninstall Bitdefender.  I downloaded the uninstall and I have ran it 5 times and I continue to get the error message that "Bitdefender was removed with errors".  After each attempt to uninstall I rebooted. I ran the Speccy snapshot to see if the program had been removed and it hadn't. (please see the new attachment). 

What Fat Security advises is what normally happens when you do not follow the uninstall procedure that is recommended by any particular software provider, in this instance though it is possible that having the multiple AV programs running on the computer is or was actually interfering with the uninstall process.

Bitdefender and Panda are both showing up in Autoruns and Speccy, can I just ask if the Autoruns and Speccy reports were both generated after you had tried using Revo to uninstall Bitdefender and Panda.