Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect to wifi (Resolved).

wifi internet

Best Answer zavalamerry , 28 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If your Internet connection still does not come back for whatever reason, check for a System Restore point that is before you lost the Internet connection, see guide/s here courtesy of Brink, use whichever method you find easier to follow.

Phill and Freebooter I keep getting a message from ByteFence that I have suspicious malware on my computer.  I ran malware bites yesterday and it came up with the PUP malware which I deleted.  However ByteFence poped up this morning with the message that I still had malware.  I ignored the message because it looked like they were trying to sell me their product.  What is your suggestion about whether I should run another malware program before I delete them.

In case you are not aware Merry, anything related to PUPs and malware removal is off limits outside of the Malware Removal forums so if this looks like it could be malware related we will need to redirect you over to the experts on those forums.

Advertisements

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill, wecome back :yeah:  I have been deleting PUP's since I downloaded Malwarebytes but what you are telling me is to NOT delete them anymore until I check in with the Malware removal forum? 

My internet was back this morning but have been gone .... 

I was directed to this website by a friend and decided before I did anything I would check with you: http://www.askvg.com...party-software/

Here are the reports after I followed Freebooter's instructions and even I can see that Bitdefender still is not gone.  What now?  

I looked into Charter/Spectrum and to get just internet is $20/mo so if we cannot get the problem with my computer resolved I guess I will have to go with Spectrum.  Just thought of something, if we can't get the computer to work will it work for Spectrum??

Attached Files

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Dear All who have helped me over these last 2+ weeks, I believe that if I understand enough about computers anything I do won't work according to the maintenance man.  He pulled up some page on my computer which said the equalivant of : this computer is not set up for wifi.  I don't know which page he was reading but the whole screen was blue.  Does this mean that all along I needed a wifi card like Artellos suggested on page 1? 

However I do not feel like this has been a waste of time since you have been helping me clean up some areas that I didn't know needed cleaned.  And I hope none of you feel like it is a waste of time either. 

The maintenance man also said that since I plugged the dongle into several usb ports and it was still acting up (dropping the internet) that is was probably a defective dongle. 

Update on the D-Link.  It has an installer CD   and I was doing fine until I got to the part where it kept saying that it was waiting for the router.  But I no longer have a router (or maybe I never had one... all I remember is I had a modem.)  So I am guessing this D-Link system isn't what I need either. 

To be absolutely honest the more I am asked the more I realize just how much I don't know which is totally frustrating to me.  I have no clue where to go from here but I am hoping you guys have an idea or two.  :smashcomp:

Thanks again to Phill, Freebooter and Chris and thank you Chris for your kind words re dialysis.

p.s. I am not giving up if you are still willing to help if you can :geek:  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello again Merry,

I have been deleting PUP's since I downloaded Malwarebytes but what you are telling me is to NOT delete them anymore until I check in with the Malware removal forum?

Not saying that no, only that we cannot suggest or help with anything that could be malware related, if what I suggest below does not help I will ask for a malware removal expert to take a look for you.

Dear All who have helped me over these last 2+ weeks, I believe that if I understand enough about computers anything I do won't work according to the maintenance man.  He pulled up some page on my computer which said the equalivant of : this computer is not set up for wifi.  I don't know which page he was reading but the whole screen was blue.  Does this mean that all along I needed a wifi card like Artellos suggested on page 1? 

You do not need an internal wi-fi card no, a working USB dongle will suffice.

Not sure who or what type of maintenance man you are referring to but would suggest that you only stick with the guidance of either them or GTG and not both, that would be a recipe for disaster  :(

p.s. I am not giving up if you are still willing to help if you can   

We will be here for as long as it takes so no worries there.

What I suggest now, run Autoruns as Administrator and then delete all of the BitDefender, Byte, Canon HP, Kromtech and Panda entries, restart the computer, run Autoruns to confirm that they are all gone then get back to us with an update.

Please do not delete anything that has not been suggested above.

Got to head back to work now I`m afraid  :(

Edit to add, can you make sure that Windows Defender continues to protect your computer while you are trouble shooting.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I am back and Phill I tried to delete all of the entries you told me to, however there are still 2 bitdefenders that won't delete.  I delete them and they pop right back up.  I am sending you the autoruns and speccy reports. 

BTW thanks Phill for the reassurance about helping me "for as long as it takes". 

One more piece of information: I called Linksys since I have a 1 year warranty and tech help.  The sales associate I spoke to thinks that the dongle is possibly malfunctioning.  LOL he suggested that the drivers may be out of date but when I tried to update them my system said they were already up to date but he continued to insist that might be the problem and I am to see if I still lose the internet "now that the drivers were up dated"  :no:  I continue to lose the internet or it won't come up at all so I am to call him back and he will send me a new dongle.  I will try to do that tomorrow but I am going in for a minor operation and may not be able to call until my next day off (Wed). 

I do have Windows Defender as my antivirus.  Should I be concerned about the ransomware problem? 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Merry,

Done as much as we can here with the multiple AV uninstall issue so as mentioned in my reply #56 I have asked for help from the malware removal staff, they have knowledge, tools + ways and means of dealing with such problems.

The internet connection problem may go away once the AVs issue has been taken care of but if not we can take another look here later.

Hope the op went ok btw  :thumbsup:

Edit to add, couple of uninstallers for you to try here and here info courtesy of Gary R  :thumbsup:

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Hello Phill, yes the operation went well.  I was a little scared because I am a wimp when it comes to pain and they told me they would only be giving me lidacaine.  But I made it... thanks for asking.

From what I understand you want me to contact the malware division for help in getting rid of Bitedefender. And you have already contacted them and gave them a heads up?

If they can resolve the AV issue and I won't need to come back here; I want you to know you are wonderful and  made it easy to follow directions.  You have helped me clean a bunch of unneeded gunk out of my system and I presume that alone will make it run better. 

Is there another division that can help me set up my computer so I have restore points and all the items set up ?  Twice in the last two months I would have loved to have a system restore only to get the message that I haven't set it up and I am hopeless when it comes to figuring out computers. 

Thanks again Phillddd for everything and I also want to thank Freebooter, Chris and Artellos for your input and willingness to spend so much time on my issues. 

Regards, Merry 

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello zavalamerry,

Very pleased to hear that your op went okay. Scary things, operations! My daughter had to have one around 3 or 4 years ago - and was so scared, we thought she wasn't going to go through with it! (Fortunately she did though!) :)

My understanding was that Phill said he would have a word with the malware helpers here on your behalf. Not sure though whether you saw his edit about trying another couple of uninstallers?

Edit to add, couple of uninstallers for you to try here and here info courtesy of Gary R  :thumbsup:

Phil might possibly be waiting for you to give these programs a try first before he talks to the malware folk.

Is there another division that can help me set up my computer so I have restore points and all the items set up ?  Twice in the last two months I would have loved to have a system restore only to get the message that I haven't set it up and I am hopeless when it comes to figuring out computers.

Phill (or one of the others here) will be able to help you with setting up a restore point...... but in the meantime see if this link helps at all: -

https://www.howtogee...-on-windows-10/

No need to thank me btw; I really didn't do very much! :)

Hope you manage to sort everything out okay.

Chris.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Chris, there is always a need to say thank you no matter how big or small the help is.  It seems that those two words are becoming extinct in our society with everyone feeling like they are entitled to the help. 

On the computer matters, I will have to come back on Saturday or Sunday (my next days off from dialysis) and work on the suggestions from Phill and yourself.

Thanks for the confirmation for interpreting Phill's message the same as I did.  :D  :yeah:

Merry

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello zavalamerry,

I did not intend to imply that you should not thank anybody - only that I myself felt that I had not really been able to help very much as I know very little! You are right though that it is always nice to be thanked, even if all you have been able to do was to try to be of assistance. You are very welcome to any small bit of help that I may have been able to give btw. :)

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the lack of people saying 'thank you these days'. So many of the tiny-but-important ways of being polite just seem to have disappeared from modern life. It seems particularly bad online:  I always somehow feel really uncomfortable talking to someone who won't say 'hello', 'thank you', 'you did well', 'you're welcome' etc. We need to remember always that even if we are using a machine to communicate, we are not talking to machines but to real human beings who sometimes need a bit of reassurance and friendliness, especially when coping with matters unfamiliar to them. :yes:

I fear I am sounding very old though..... :lol:

No hurry at all, work on the computer problems in your own time.

Take care,

Chris.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello zavalamerry,

Ditto, glad to hear that the op went ok.

Chris was correct in that for now you should try the uninstallers that were kindly suggested by Gary R and then get back to us with an update, he has another option to try if you have no luck with those already suggested.

Thanks for the additional help Chris  :thumbsup:

Edit to add: Malware expert RKinner has kindly offered to help with this Merry, please start a new thread on the Malware Removal forums here include the name RKinner in the subject and he will pick the thread up, can you also advise in your OP that you were redirected there and include a link to this thread in your OP there, good luck.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill, I tried  the ESET AV removal tool and it said it couldn't find any trace of Bitdefender on my computer.  I then tried the specific manual AV removal but it was something I had already done. However there was an option to contact Bitdefender so I wrote them a note asking for help.  The second link is one that I have tried numerous times but I could never find the uninstall instructions. 

Chris thank you for the link on how to set up a restore point.  I haven't read it yet but I will.  

Phill if I haven't heard back from Bitdefender support in the next couple of days I will ask the malware removal staff for help. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Ok, thanks for the update Merry :thumbsup: 

Being honest I would have suggested that you let RKinner take a look first, he has all sorts of ways and means of cleaning up a users machine, Bitdefender may struggle to help you being that you also still have traces of BD, Panda and possibly other AVs on your computer, still whats done`s done so they say.

Whatever happens, good luck with it and please let us know how you get on.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Merry,

Hope all is well with you.

Have you made any progress as far as getting rid of those pesky programs is concerned? Was Bitdefender able to help at all? I would love to know how you are getting on - and I am sure the others here would too.

If you haven't been able to make any progress, don't forget to contact Rkinner in the malware forum as Phill suggested; they will be sure to be able to sort you out there! :)

Take care,

Chris.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill, I am confused as to what is happening here.  I didn't get your email because it went into my spam folder and had I not been looking for another expected email I wouldn't have gotten your email.  Anyway... I came on here and answered your email but I don't see it posted ... what happened?  I thought I had closed the thread but I guess I didn't since you are writing to ask me to do so.  Maybe instead of me struggling to figure out how to do it you could help me by telling me how.  

I feel bad because I fully inteded to close out my thread and I intended to go to the malware section because Bitdefender never called back but I was unable to do both. 

Next: I haven't been able to get on malware and talk to Rkinner because I have been offered an opportunity to sell my jewelry and I am focusing on getting everything ready to be able to do the show in a professional manner.  I haven't forgotten that I need to get in contact with him but between getting ready for the show and losing the internet over and over I just haven't had the chance.  I am not a marketer so I sit and make jewelry because it keeps my mind off the fact that I am dying.  I was diagnosed in 2012 with kidney failure and my sister suggested I make jewelry to keep my mind busy so I have been making it and I have over 200 pieces made but haven't been able to sell it.  I went on the malware site today to try to post my question and I got confused (which happens a lot. sometimes I can't remember simple things) I couldn't remember how I started my thread on this forum.  I was trying to figure it out when my computer lost the internet and was down for quite a while and I haven't had a chance to get back to him. 

Thank you for the heads up and I will try again to figure out the malware page. 

Merry