Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address

ip address

• Please log in to reply

Hu Sha

Hu Sha

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm just wondering if all the devices connected to the same internet service provider should have the same IP address. My Avast show a few devices that have different IP address, which I have a few connected. But one of them Linux.lan is unrecognizable. Does it mean someone else is using my internet service?

The last 3 digits in the ip addresses are different. See attached.

Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• IP Address E.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Your router takes the public IP address assigned by the ISP and changes it to a private IP address range then parcels individual address within the range out to the inidividual devices which it serves.  These are normally in the 192.168. 1 or 0 range by default.  Expect that the part you blanked out is part of a private address and thus not sensitive at all.  

Private IP ranges are:

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255

There is also 169.254.0.0 through 169.254.255.255 which Windows uses if it can't get an IP address through DHCP.

If the blanked out part is the same on all devices and it is from one of the private ranges (and I expect it is) then if you do not know the Linux.lan device one of your neighbors is using your Internet.  You should change the password (and if not using WPA switch to that encryption method as WEP can easily be hacked).  As an alternative you can log on to the router and it will show you the MAC address of the linux.lan device.  Then you can have the router ban the MAC address.  This will only work until he uses a different device or has his device fake its MAC address.

If the blanked out part is not one of the private addresses then it might be normal but the second entry appears to be your router so it's unlikely that you would have public IP addresses

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The avast icon suggests the linux.lan device its a printer...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

No idea why a printer would be called linux.lan but if you have any printers turn them off and see if it goes away.