Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email setup on mobile phone

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hi all,

I recently bought a second-hand LG d802, which covers all of my smart phone needs.

I only have one problem with it at the moment and that’s setting it up to access my emails, which run over my own domain name on Microsoft Office 365.

I’ve followed these instructions to the letter:

https://www.upc.ch/e...oice/outlook/13

but every time I get to step 17 (verification of all the information I’ve put in), I get a message saying login information incorrect, try again.

As I see it, there are two possible causes to the problem:

1. There is something in Microsoft Office 365 that I need to change to permit access to my emails by the phone, or
  2. I have to input three passwords, one for the account access, one for the incoming server and one for the outgoing server. I’m assuming that this is the same password that I use for the account in all three cases. If that’s not the case, where do I get the incoming and outgoing server passwords?

Can anyone help me out on this? I get the feeling I’m within a hair’s breadth of getting where I need to, but I’m missing a vital piece of knowledge – as is so often the case when dealing with computers!

Thanks in advance

RSP

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

If you have 2-step verification active on the account it doesn't accept connections unless you generate a special password for use on the device/app

https://support.offi...18-b53953ee1183

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hi SleepyDude,

When I access security and privacy in my Office365, I don't get the option 'Additional security verification'. That suggests to me that my email hasn't been set up with two step verification.

Curiously, the instructions I'm following here:

https://www.upc.ch/e...hoice/outlook/1

tell me to select 'other' rather than 'Microsoft Exchange' (see step 5). Could that be the problem?

Regards

RSP

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
https://www.upc.ch/e...hoice/outlook/1

tell me to select 'other' rather than 'Microsoft Exchange' (see step 5). Could that be the problem?

I don't think so, the account can be accessed using different protocols POP3, IMAP and Exchange (MAPI) if you have that option try it.

Do you have any mail client configured to access the account? What is the protocol you use to connect?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hi,

The only way I have currently of connecting to the account is via Outlook on my desktop. However, I can't find any information in Outlook that tells me how it connects. I thought if I signed into Office 365, I'd find something there, but I haven't had any luck.

To be honest, this is not something I have a great deal of knowledge or experience of, so I could quite easily be searching in the wrong place.

RSP

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

The Outlook configuration can be check like this:

4200572_orig.jpg

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hi,

I've tried that, but I don't seem to get the same amount of information on display as I'm supposed to.

A box comes up with my email address on it. If I click on the email address I get a box that says 'Enter the Microsoft Exchange server settings for your account' and my email address is below it, but nothing else.

Am I not seeing something that I should?

RSP

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Am I not seeing something that I should?

Not sure but if it talks about "Enter the Microsoft Exchange" then its configured to use Exchange not IMAP.

Did you try the Exchange option on the device?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Yes, tried that, but when I do, it asks for the server address and I don't know where to find it.

It also asks for the domain, which I expect is the bit after the @ in my email address.

Can I find the server address in Office 365?

RSP

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Can I find the server address in Office 365?

Possibly I can't access Office 365 now, also I don't have domain or Exchange in use.

Found one page with the address outlook.office365.com don't know if its accurate.

Advertisements

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Tried that, it told me that the login information is incorrect.

Would I be able to find the exchange serrver if I go into office 365?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Check this page https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

maybe using the first option "Office 365 Exchange Domain Name Server (DNS) Connectivity Test" gives you the server name to use also there are several tests that can be used to confirm that everything is ok in your domain.

Edit: Also check this http://blog.bittitan...for-office-365/it includes a tip to use Outlook Autodiscover from the page above...

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hi,

I ran the test and got the following result(s):

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is testing Exchange ActiveSync.   Exchange ActiveSync was tested successfully.   Minus.gif Additional Details  
Elapsed Time: 24973 ms.
  Minus.gif Test Steps   SuccessWarn.png Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested).   Autodiscover was successfully tested for Exchange ActiveSync.   Plus.gif Additional Details   Plus.gif Test Steps Success.png Validating Exchange ActiveSync settings.   Exchange ActiveSync URL https://outlook.offi...rver-ActiveSyncwas validated successfully.   Plus.gif Additional Details Success.png Attempting to resolve the host name outlook.office365.com in DNS.   The host name resolved successfully.   Plus.gif Additional Details Success.png Testing TCP port 443 on host outlook.office365.com to ensure it's listening and open.   The port was opened successfully.   Plus.gif Additional Details SuccessWarn.png Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.   The certificate passed all validation requirements.   Plus.gif Additional Details   Plus.gif Test Steps Warning.png Checking the IIS configuration for client certificate authentication.   The test passed with some warnings encountered. Please expand the additional details.   Plus.gif Additional Details Success.png Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://outlook.offi...rver-ActiveSync.   The HTTP authentication methods are correct.   Plus.gif Additional Details Success.png An ActiveSync session is being attempted with the server.   Testing of an Exchange ActiveSync session completed successfully.   Plus.gif Additional Details   Plus.gif Test Steps

It appears to me that your suggestion of outlook.office365.com as the server was right.

I must be doing something else wrong in that case.

RSP

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

A quick update, I used outlook.office365.com and I now email on my phone.

I can send and receive - it even recognises my contacts.

The only thing I don't have on the phone is all of the emails semt and received previously.

Shouldn't they synchronise, or will this take time?

RSP

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

PS Thank you for your help so far, I could never have done this on my own.

RSP