Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic question re Yahoo mail accounts on multiple devices

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I have a Yahoo Mail account on a PC, an iPad, and on an Android smartphone; All have the same user id and password. Right now, a message sent to my email address arrives at all three devices.

Question: Can I change the password on the iPad account and still read received messages on the PC and the  iPad,  without changing their current settings?

I think the answer is clearly YES but I want to be sure. Thanks.      ...batpark

Advertisements

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

CORRECTION TO INITIAL POST

Sorrry, I meant to write:

I have a Yahoo Mail account on a PC, an iPad, and on an Android smartphone; All have the same user id and password. Right now, a message sent to my email address arrives at all three devices.

Question: Can I change the password on the iPad account and still read received messages on the PC and the Smartphone,  without changing the PC and Smartphone current settings?

I think the answer is clearly YES but I want to be sure. Thanks.      ...batpark

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

If you are changing a password specific for the device and not the yahoo account password then nothing will happen to the other devices.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Batpark,

As I have previously attempted to help you with your problems with your Yahoo account password on your various devices, I thought I would butt in again here. :)

I was initially very puzzled about exactly which password you were talking about. With my Yahoo account, I have one password which is used on my Windows 7 computer, Windows 10 laptop and Android phone - and if I change my password on one device, it definitely has to be changed on all. So, I was struggling to understand your problem.......

However..... I am now wondering whether your problem might be connected with the (fairly new) Yahoo Account Key. If you are using that, you can see some info here: https://help.yahoo.c...b/SLN25781.html

In particular, if you click on 'Questions and issues using Yahoo Account', you will see that it says (under 'Your 3rd party apps stop working'): -

Some 3rd party apps, such as iOS Mail, Android Mail, and Outlook, don't work with Yahoo Account Key enabled.

To use these apps, you need to generate app passwords for them. Before doing that, you need to either turn on two-step verification or enable Yahoo Account Key, as stated in the following link: -

https://help.yahoo.c...b/SLN15241.html

How to disable Yahoo Account Key.

If Yahoo Account Key is enabled on your account, you might perhaps want to try disabling it to see if it helps with your problems.

The following quote is from Yahoo: -

If you want to go back to signing in with your password, you'll need to disable Yahoo Account Key.

How to Turn off Account Key from a computer.

1. From your computer, go to your Yahoo Account info page.
  2. Click Account security.
  3. Click Manage next to Yahoo Account Key.
  4. Click Disable Account Key.
  5. Click Yes, disable Account Key to confirm.
  6. Click Got it.

Next time you sign in to Yahoo, you'll be able to sign in with your old password. You won't need to confirm an Account Key code.

How to Turn off Account Key from an app.

1. Open an Account Key supported Yahoo app.
  2. Tap the Menu icon mail_drd_menu-icon_01.png.
  3. Tap the Account Key.
  4. Tap Manage Account Key.
  5. Tap Yes, disable Account Key to confirm.
  6. Tap Yes, disable Account Key.
  7. Tap Got it.

Perhaps something from the above will help you. Sorry..... this is all a bit complicated and I do not pretend to fully understand it all myself!

I did previously try using the Yahoo Account Key myself, but gave up and disabled it in the end as I could not get it to work! :(

Good luck!

Chris.

EDIT Thinking again about the above, then if you are already using an app-specific password then yes, presumably it only applies to that particular app....... so maybe that is what you were asking about! Apologies if I made my answer above more complicated than necessary! :(

App passwords can be set up for any of the following: -

YahooAppPassword.jpg

Edited by Channeal, 06 May 2017 - 04:24 AM.

Spillman01

Spillman01

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Can someone advise how to correct my phone disconnects my desktop with Yahoo...or vice versa...but I can't have both open at the same time.