Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Notebook - Possible Device Problem?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

I was tring to solve a problem with an SDHC card purchased for my Android phone (see http://www.geekstogo...t-detected/)andtried inserting the SDHC card into my Windows 10 notebook. The notebook wouldn't recognise the card, but when I went into device manager I noticed that there are 2 devices in there which are showing up as having no drivers. I do not know which devices this relates to, but I will post screenshots  at the end of this message.

My notebook is a Sony Vaio vgn ns20e on which I did a clean install of Windows 10 a few months ago (it was previously running Vista). It seems that wherever the problem lies, it has apparently existed since the date of the upgrade.

Some screenshots to follow: -

devicemanager1.jpg

devicemanager2.jpg

devicemanager3.jpg

devicemanager4.jpg

TroubleshootingReport.jpg

Any ideas what these refer to, or what can be done to remedy the situation?

Many thanks,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 06 May 2017 - 06:37 AM.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay...... but what device is this refering to? Is it anything to do with the fact I tried inserting the SDHC card from my phone into the notebook?

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I tried installing the driver from your link, but it told me it could not be installed on my system.

I tried a driver from Dell which rather strangely actually did install on my system (I think it mentioned compatibility mode) .... although I still cannot get the SDHC card to be recognised.

Device Manager now only shows the unknown device as needing a driver. (There is no mention of the Base System Device now).

unknown.jpg

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I think this is the info you wanted.

ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001

Before posting my first message, I checked the manual for this notebook model and it says that it should be able to read SDHC cards

I read somewhere that there may possibly not be any Windows 10 drivers for the card reader. If that does prove to be the case, it doesn't matter as it is not vital that I can use it. I just wanted to see if I could check out the card on my notebook as it is not working on my phone. (I can't seem to find out whether my phone should be able to accept SDHC cards or not - although I think it probably should be able to)

Edited by Channeal, 08 May 2017 - 03:22 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

You already said you have installed the memory card reader driver.

I wasn't sure if the other device was somehow connected to the Card Reader.

Is it essential that I find a driver for this device? Will it cause big problems if I don't?

Windows 10 compatible with Windows 7 and later versions of device drivers

Okay. Thanks for that information.

Please visit your laptop manufacturer website to download latest device drivers. The Unknown Device is: Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device.

"Drivers, Firmware & Software"

https://esupport.son...DIRECTOR=DRIVER

The problem with Sony is (as you may already be aware) that I believe they no longer make computers & notebooks, only mobile phones etc.

I already tried searching on the link you gave. The nearest I can find to my model number VGN-NS20E I can find on it is a VGN-NS205N - and that only gives Vista drivers for this device. I tried installing that and it seemed to be installing okay, but everything still looks the same in device driver - possibly because it was for the wrong model number and/or the wrong OS?

I located and tried a driver for Windows 8 - but that was for an entirely different model number and told me it could not be installed on my notebook.

One of the problems I have encountered searching for drivers online is that when I think I have found a driver, it turns out to be on one of the 3rd party driver download sites which I assume it is not advisable to use? For example, this one sounds as if it has exactly what I am looking for! Should I try it, or leave well alone? : -

http://www.driversca...n-parser-device

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Ah success.... that one has worked! :thumbsup: 

The daft thing is that I tried that one before and wasn't quite sure what to do with it as there were a few files included with it and I wasn't sure what to do with them - and at that stage, I thought they wouldn't be any good anyway as they were for Windows 7. :( This time I took more time finding out what to do! :

Thank you very much indeed for your help with this..

Btw.... just out of interest, I think the fact you had trouble finding my model number might have been because I am from the UK. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sony gave their computers different model numbers in other countries - although I couldn't find any info about that online.