Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Message About Insufficient System Settings (Resolved).

Best Answer Channeal , 27 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

Hello Phill, Haven't thought about this recently tbh - but don't remember having any of those annoying notifications recently so I think that yes, it seems as if the 'Silent Mode' option has f... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello,

I keep getting messages from Avast about insufficient system settings on my old Dell Dimension 9150 computer running Windows 7. I suspect they are just trying to get me to buy another of their products...... but is there anything of importance in the following, please?

avast.jpg

Chris

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Chris,

I keep getting messages from Avast about insufficient system settings on my old Dell Dimension 9150 computer running Windows 7. I suspect they are just trying to get me to buy another of their products

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head, I would suggest that you uninstall and then reinstall Avast but do a custom install this time, article here explains some options. 

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks Phill.

I have a paid-for version of Avast Internet Security. I cannot remember why I got that, but think it was because I somehow got into my head that it would be a good idea when I still had XP on here. Should I get rid of it?

Hope you are keeping well btw.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Trust me to automatically think it was a free version of Avast  :whistling:

Avast is still one of the best AVs so there is no way I would suggest that you get rid of it be it the free or a paid for product.

If you take a look at the Avast comparison info here you will see the New tab - Level up your gaming with the features being offered in each available version of Avast, nothing untoward and you will not be expected to pay anything more but at the same time what is on offer will not turn any computer into a lightening fast gaming rig.

You are welcome btw Chris  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I wasn't suggesting that I get rid of Avast altogether :) Was just wondering whether perhaps the Internet Security version might not be such a good version and might possibly attract more messages such as the one in my screenshot.

I am not actually sure whether you are just pointing out the new 'Level up your gaming' feature out of interest, or whether you are suggesting I choose it! We don't do any gaming - unless you count the occasional game of Candy Crush when I am bored! :laughing:

Chris.

EDIT Silly me- just realised that the new feature is something that everybody gets, not an extra option! :(

Edited by Channeal, 07 May 2017 - 11:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
I wasn't suggesting that I get rid of Avast altogether xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.XmCihtcE1S.webp 

Gotcha  :thumbsup:

I no longer use Avast so not sure if you can disable any already installed features, from memory you cannot and that is why I suggested the uninstall and then reinstall using the Customise option, being that you have the upgraded Internet protection version I would only uncheck the two boxes in the Performance option, see the attachment/s below that I just made  :lol:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay Phill, I will try uninstalling and then download again as suggested.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend. :)

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I actually found out how to disable all the extra features without having to uninstall - so hopefully no more annoying notifications in the future! :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Okay Phill, I will try uninstalling and then download again as suggested.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend. :)

Chris.

You are welcome and you too  :)

I actually found out how to disable all the extra features without having to uninstall - so hopefully no more annoying notifications in the future! :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Chris

Thats handy to know, peace of mind for anyone else with the same problem  :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Channeal,

I use the free version of Avast and am constantly pestered with those little pop up warnings about system settings sucking up resources, useless programs, blah, blah, blah...

I have never had the paid version so I am not sure if what I am thinking is correct or not, but I have a feeling that you will still receive those annoying notifications enticing you to re-enable those features you just enabled. Let me know if you do. I am curious to know if my thinking is correct or not. :)

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Donna,

Oh dear! I hope your are wrong! I will let you know in due course. :)

Chris.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I hope I am wrong to Chris. I will say that Avast doesn't pester me all the time, maybe every couple of days or more but not enough for me to want to uninstall it. The way I see it, Avast is just looking out for my best interests, but I am too cheap to buy and upgrade to the paid version just to find out which setting need to be tweaked or programs that need to be uninstalled. Far as I know, I configured those settings to meet my personal likes/needs that are being targeted as resource hogs or useless and I know there are no programs on my system that I want to uninstall. In other words, what Avast might "detect" as a problem, I do not and I want to keep it that way. ;)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Tbh, I don't usually mind the notifications too much. It just caught me on a bad day yesterday, I guess - and when I clicked on the notification and got the bit about 'Insufficient System Settings' (which sounds quite scary) I wondered: 'What if there is really a problem here?'. Which is - of course - exactly what Avast want people to wonder! :)

Interesting in the link Phill gave me about putting Avast on a diet (ha-ha! :lol:) is the bit about 'Silent Mode' which says: -

One last tip: to turn off the marketing offers (upgrade to a paid version, buy subscription to some service listed above), right-click Avast icon in System Tray and choose Silent Mode. This is the permanent solution.

I have enabled Silent Mode now, so it will be interesting to see if that stops the notifications.

Cheers,

Chris.

PS Some more info about Silent Mode can be found at:-

http://www.getavast....t-1-silent-mode

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
I have enabled Silent Mode now, so it will be interesting to see if that stops the notifications.

Fingers crossed for you Chris and thanks for the additional info on the Silent Mode option  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Chris,

Any further problems with this or has putting Avast on a diet/silent mode fixed things.