Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors cant extend - please help me

montor display

• Please log in to reply

Matty1971

Matty1971

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi I am running the following system

Windows 7 32 bit 

Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2PV DDR3

This motherboard supports dual displays via a DVI and VGA output

I have both my monitors working - an asus ve247 and an acer KA 22oh

This tells me the MOBO is throwing a signal out of both VGA and DVI which is a good sign.

Trouble is I cant extend monitors so im seeing the one desktop duplicated rather than an extended monitor I can move windows across to.

Right clicking the desktop takes me to the screen resolution page.
I cant select extend displays at Display the only option being 1. Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter  
This is where you can usually select the second monitor to be extended. I cant. See image.

I have updated to the latest driver for onboard graphics and installed the latest drivers for the monitors. 
I think I need to tell the MOBO to enable extended displays but BIOS hasnt got an option for this.

Hows the best way to trouble shoot and fix this issue

Please help Matty

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Matty1971  :welcome:

Try method 2 from the how toand let us know the result please.  > https://support.micr...sy-in-windows-7

Matty1971

Matty1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks so much dsenette.

This does not work as the drop down menu only shows one option, the generic PnP monitor on Standard VGA graphics adaptor.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please check you are using the correct display cables and inputs, no support if you use a D-Sub adapter in the DVI-D line.

note, D-Sub is the modern name for VGA. same 15 pin count and pattern. 

Disconnect the Acer monitor.

Connect the Asus monitor with a DVI-D to DVI-D cable. Power on and use the screen resolution page to set it up.

Power off and connect the Acer monitor with a D-Sub to D-Sub cable, power on and see if detected ion the screen resolution page.

Matty1971

Matty1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks so much I really appreciate the help.

I have disconnected the D-sub cable, restarted with just the DVI-D Cable on the Asus and then restarted with the D-Sub cable on the Acer Monitor. No result there. Just the same signal going out to both monitors and no ability to expand desktop across a second monitor. Same single monitor option as per the attached screen grab when I initially posted the problem.

In addition I switched cables on the monitors connecting the D-sub to the Asus and the DVI-D to the Acer. Once again a restart with just the one monitor connected and no solution.

The Mobo is throwing the same signal out on both cables and the monitors are both displaying it.

I also looked for options on the BIOS Menu in relation to this but there are none. The GA-H110M-S2PV DDR 3 product info on the Gigabyte website says, DVI-D, D-sub ports for multiple display.

See this link: http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-H110M-S2PV-DDR3-rev-10#ov 

My guess at this point is W7 doesn't know 2 monitors are there and our Mobo is just throwing a signal out both D-sub and DVI 

What would the next step in troubleshooting this be? 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Both cables seem to be working OK, lets try,

With the DVI-D Cable on the Asus and the D-Sub cable on the Acer Monitor.

​Restart and enter BIOS, go to Peripherals screen, > under Initial Display Output > select  as first IGFX, > go exit menu, > Save settings, > confirm Yes and exit.

Can you now extend the display?

Matty1971

Matty1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks I have attempted that, it was already set to IGFX however I reversed the setting to PCI e then back to IGFX and no change,

Right now we are considering an upgrade to W10 in the hope that this will allow the OS to recognise and detect the monitors.

Do you think this is the best way to fix this?

Mathew

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would not try upgrading to W10 as there is a good chance with older hardware of running into other issues   A repair install of W7 would be a better option if we can't find a fix.

Please try,

With both monitors switched on, > press the Windows key + P > click the Extend icon.

On the left monitor, move the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen, it should disappear and reappear on the left side of the right monitor?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday,

Have you solved your problem?