Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Is Not Working

• Please log in to reply

johnkromka

johnkromka

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I haven't used my System Restore in some time, however I tried using it tonight because I downloaded a registry script that was "supposed" to speed up my Windows 10, however it seems to have slowed down things.  So I ran the System Restore.  First thing I noticed that was odd was that there was only ONE restore point there and I have my disk usage for restore points set up quite high, so there should have been more than just one restore point and it was three days ago. Anyway, I ran the Restore and was expecting everything to go fine, but it did not.  I noticed it was not finishing in the usual 5-10 minutes.  I decided to let it run for a half hour but it would not finish.  It said "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored...System Restore is initializing".  It stayed with exactly this wording the whole 30 minutes.  Then when I restarted the computer it said: "System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer files and settings were not changed."  Details: "The System Restore is still in progress and did not complete".   So I went looking all over Google for posts on fixing System Restore when it is not working right.  I tried MANY things.  I wish I kept a list of what I tried, but from memory I ran a scannow and it did say it found some corrupted files, but could not fix them all.  It said in one post to try a different restore point, but as I said I only had one, so could not do that.  I ran the hardware Troubleshooter, found nothing.  I went into Windows Services to make sure all the things associated with Restore were running and on automatic.  So now I come to the forum to try and get help to get the SR running right again.  Please give me some other things to try than what I mentioned here.  I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but is there any software I can download that might correct the situation?  Is there a 3rd party type of System Restore?(probably not)  As I said I am running Windows 10.  One guy said to go into my Local Group Policy Editor and I looked in vain for that...I don't see it on my system.  This is frustrating and I want the SR back.  Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello johnkromka,

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

I haven't used my System Restore in some time, however I tried using it tonight because I downloaded a registry script that was "supposed" to speed up my Windows 10, however it seems to have slowed down things.

Lesson learned the hard way I suspect, the registry is off limits to anyone other than advanced users as tinkering with it is the quickest way to hose your operating system,miekiemoes' Blog Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.