Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sporadic problem connecting to internet (Resolved).

Best Answer Channeal , 28 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hello again Phill, I have done it!!!!!!!! I went back to your previous link and added Winmgmt to the list in the box (the one I posted a screenshot of in message #45) - and it worked! Tha... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Have been out all day myself: only logged on very briefly before going out this morning because I read your message in my emails on my phone and was intrigued by your question on Windows updates! :)

A couple of questions about Autoruns, please. Firstly, do you want me to hide or unhide the Windows entries? They come up as hidden by default, but I am wondering if you want them included?

Secondly, when I open the report at first I get a message saying: 'Could not get Wmi subscriptions. The wait operation timed out'. Is that okay?

Poor you, having to work on a Sunday! :( Is that usual? I was really surprised when we had the roofers working next door to us recently to find that they were working on both Saturday and Sunday. I guess it must mean they had plenty of work though!

Chris

EDIT  :oops:  Silly me! I just re-read your message and saw that you said: 'make sure that the Hide Empty Locations option is the only one ticked'! :( It is still scanning at the moment, so will post the report later. :)

Edited by Channeal, 21 May 2017 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

The Autoruns page came up with a list of processes but in spite of me running it for several hours it continued to say 'scanning' at the foot of the page. When I tried to click on 'save' the option was not available. Could this be connected to the message I told you about that comes up every time I open Autoruns regarding the Wmi subscription? (That relates to the Windows Management Instrumentation you mentioned as not running, does it not?)

I know you probably won't be around for at least a day or so, but no worries as am not in a hurry. Maybe the Windows update you mentioned as being due on Tuesday will help fix some of the problems.

I hope you managed to get a bit of relaxation tonight after your Sunday at work.

Chris.

EDIT Just to confirm that I am not doing anything drastically wrong when trying to run Aotoruns (always a distinct possibility with

me :)) - here is a screenshot of my Autorun files. I have been clicking on the first file and running as administrator.

autoruns.jpg

This is the error message which comes up when I attempt to start the Wmi service: -

wmierrormessage.jpg

Edited by Channeal, 22 May 2017 - 04:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

Before I forget again to ask, how has the internet connection been since disabling Rapport and the behaviour of the computer in general.

Really not sure why or how you have services disabled but as a starting point can you check in Properties for the Windows Management Instrumentation service > Startup type to see if it is set to Automatic, for help with this see the tutorial Option One provided courtesy of Brink here it does say To Start, Stop, and Disable Services in "Services" Window but you will also see the Automatic option following the same steps.

Poor you, having to work on a Sunday!  Is that usual? 

Being self employed I pick and choose my work hrs to suit and for some strange reason I like working on Sundays  :wacko:

Thanks for the updates and for your persistence with Autoruns which btw are nothing out of the ordinary being that some services appear to be disabled.

Will hopefully have a chance to check back later, expecting guests so not sure exactly when though, thanks for understanding as well  :thumbsup:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Before I forget again to ask, how has the internet connection been since disabling Rapport and the behaviour of the computer in general.

It misbehaved again after disabling Rapport, but has been fine so far since running the AIO program

Really not sure why or how you have services disabled

Now that is the opposite to my answer above! I am 99.9% certain that the red cross by the flag indicating that there is an important message from the Action Centre to tell me to turn on the Windows Security Centre only occurred after running the AIO program. I saw that the program log says it repaired WMI: -

05 - Repair WMI
   Start (19/05/2017 16:05:34)

Starting Security Center So We Can Export The Security Info.

Exporting Antivirus Info...
   Avast Antivirus Exported.

Exporting AntiSpyware Info...
   Windows Defender Exported.

Exporting 3rd Party Firewall Info...

Running Repair Under Current User Account
   Done (19/05/2017 16:08:44)

as a starting point can you check in Properties for the Windows Management Instrumentation service > Startup type to see if it is set to Automatic, for help with this see the tutorial Option One provided courtesy of Brink here it does say To Start, Stop, and Disable Services in "Services" Window but you will also see the Automatic option following the same steps.

Apologies...... I meant to tell you that I had already checked that WMI was set to 'automatic' - and it was. I just tried to start the service from the elevated command prompt - and got the following: -

commandpromptwmi.jpg

Being self employed I pick and choose my work hrs to suit and for some strange reason I like working on Sundays 

Okay.  :lol:  Does that mean that your staff have to work Sundays too? :)

Have a good day,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 22 May 2017 - 06:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

As your internet is now stable, create a new system restore point then try re enabling Rapport and see how things go. 

I am 99.9% certain that the red cross by the flag indicating that there is an important message from the Action Centre to tell me to turn on the Windows Security Centre only occurred after running the AIO program. I saw that the program log says it repaired WMI: -

Try running SFC from your Windows 7 DVD, see method one info here if this does not help you may need to use regedit for each service that is not running.

Okay.    Does that mean that your staff have to work Sundays too? 

Fortunately for them and me, no, I do all the paperwork etc so I dont need to pay out double time :laughing:  

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

As your internet is now stable, create a new system restore point then try re enabling Rapport and see how things go.

Okay, will do.

Try running SFC from your Windows 7 DVD, see method one info here if this does not help you may need to use regedit for each service that is not running.

I actually already ran SFC - yesterday - but from my computer, not the DVD. It didn't find any problems and it didn't tell me to insert the DVD. I am assuming that the only reason you told me to run it directly from the DVD is in case it needed to make any repairs.

If I am correct with the above, then I will await your instructions regarding how to edit the services in the registry.

Fortunately for them and me, no, I do all the paperwork etc so I dont need to pay out double time

Ah, okay. If you are only doing paperwork then I can understand you liking to work on a Sunday, especially if you have an office which is fairly free from interruptions. Unfortunately, our computer is in our lounge and if I attempt to do something on it which requires concentation (which indeed I am going to have to try to do today), I think I must wear an invisible hat which says; 'Please interrupt me as much as possible'! :lol: I keep thinking that I should buy myself a little desk and put it out in the only bit of available space elsewhere in our house (a former room which is actually now part of our hall) so that I can use my laptop there and hopefully get a bit more peace! At the moment, I have to use the laptop on our dining table which is very close to the desktop computer, so still no peace there! :(

I never actually thought about the possibility of the roofers next door having to be paid double time for working on Sundays! Our neighbour told us that they worked over the weekend because the forecast was for the weather to turn very bad after that. It was perhaps an expensive weather forecast for their boss then! :laughing:

Thanks as always for all your help. :)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

I would still suggest running SFC with the DVD in the drive using the Repair option, I have the regedit info close to hand so it is just a case of copy/paste into a reply but just want to try any other options first so we can tick them off on the checklist.

I am fortunate in that I have a study which I call the den to which I can retreat, in times gone past it would be nothing unusual for me to still be working at gone 11pm on a Thursday night, online banking to pay the wages in so they landed in folks accounts for Friday morning, I manage my time better now though and try to not work past 10pm.

Roofers will be on price work most likely so have to make hay while the sun shines, don`t envy them at all  :(

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: Cars in for a service so should be around all day as working from home with not much to do  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Quick question, Phill. Have only got to step 5 re running the DVD. It said to make a note of the drive and that it probably won't be drive C - but it gives 2 options. The first is drive C and the second is drive D which has my clone on it. My query arises because it says drive C is Windows 7 and drive D is Windows 7 Home Premium. They should both be Home Premium.

Is it okay to click on Drive C?

It's good that you no longer work until 11 btw - that's way too late! :)

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 24 May 2017 - 05:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Drive C: is the drive letter that Windows allocates to the HDD or partition where the OS in use is stored. D: is often the DVD drive but can be changed to another letter as Windows sees fit which is what has happened here, so you are correct in that SFC should be run on the C:drive, you will note that in step 7 Bare Foot Kid says "In the command window that opens type this command below and hit the <enter> key, be sure to use your drive letter, where mine is F: for this demonstration yours probably will not be the same."

Aye 11pm is way too late but I do still sometimes help out on forums to past that time  :(

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks Phill.

On my computer, D is actually the partition on my second hard  drive which has my clone on. I gave it the label of 'Cloned files' which is what showed up when I ran the Windows DVD, so that was the drive it was talking about. My DVD drive is drive F (Things are always different with me! :laughing:)

The scan completed with the result: 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'

There is one odd thing that happened when running the DVD though. Right at the beginning it told me: 'Windows found problems with your computer's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?'. When I agreed to do this, I was not sure what to do on the screen which followed, so exited with the intention of trying again later. Now though, whenever I start the computer I get the following screen: -

DSC_0035.JPG

Aye 11pm is way too late but I do still sometimes help out on forums to past that time 

I guess that, like mine, yours is not a household that goes to sleep very early! Here we very rarely turn in before midnight - and often much later. We are not good at getting up early in the morning though! :)

Chris.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What happens if you try pressing Enter + what if any options does it list if you press F8.

I`m both a night owl and an early bird but the wife only an early bird  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

What happens if you try pressing Enter + what if any options does it list if you press F8.

The computer just starts normally if I press 'Enter'.

Here is the F8 screen: -

DSC_0036.JPG

I`m both a night owl and an early bird but the wife only an early bird  xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.5Yux4gu5_h.png

Sleep is a bad subject in our house. My husband has always been something of an insomniac who often takes hours to get to sleep and also often wakes up in the night and has something to eat (I call it his 'midnight feast' even though it is usually long after midnight that he has it!) :) Our daughter is now back home with us and suffering from PTSD, so is sleeping very badly and sometimes doesn't get to sleep until the time when many people are starting their day. :( Me, I used to sleep like a log from the time my head hits the pillow until it was time to get up - but nowadays I find I often wake in the middle of the night and then sometimes stay awake for a few hours. A consequence of getting older, I guess! :(

Chris.

EDIT Silly me! I guess I should just click on the 'repair my computer' option! How daft can you get? Will try it.....

Edited by Channeal, 24 May 2017 - 08:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

No worries, repair or last known good would be what I would have suggested. 

Being that you are kept so busy I wouldnt be surprised if you have sleep deprivation btw  :(

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

I went into repair, but then started to doubt I was doing the right thing! (Always full of doubts, me!)

Should I try the last known good first?

Being that you are kept so busy I wouldnt be surprised if you have sleep deprivation btw  xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.nW56hUVS2R.png

Could well be the case: am definitely not 100% these days, but put it all down to the stress of worrying about my offspring! :(

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Chris,

If only for peace of mind try last Known good first by all means :thumbsup: please keep in mind that any previous problems that you may have just fixed could be undone.