Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen Troubleshooting Windows 10 I'M SO STUCK!

blue screen windows 10

• Please log in to reply

gracek

gracek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi,

Current state: 100% blue screen will not boot or fix via windows Install DVD.

I formatted and reinstalled windows on my SSD drive on my other computer and it works fine, so i think i ruled out the HD. 

Prior to being totally blue, I ran the Intel chip test from their website and showed it was fine. I checked the heat and it was around 50 which was fine. I pulled my fan and reset the fan on the chip just in case i bumped it when i was cleaning out the dust the other day. 

I ran in cmd memory diagnostics and HD diagnostics, windows defender etc. This computer is clean, only a few work programs installed, and now the HD has clean windows install.. I also reset BIOS. 

The Blue screen started a few days ago. 

I was getting critical error 41 Kernal-Power

Called Corsair and they said must be power supply. I went and bought a spare power supply but the computer still has a blue screening.

I uninstalled the Video card and am only using the vid card on the motherboard. Still blue screen.

The final things i don't know how to check are:

How to check Motherboard? Ram?

I'm still wondering if it could be my intell chip or my DD3 memory? Did i miss anything?

My cmd.exe are stuck at x:\source> I tried some commands like mdsched.exe and didn't recognize command. I can change drives like C:

An idea i had was to use fedora with a USB but i have never done that and the instructions i've found are confusing.

Well, i will never build my own computer again. Even though these things are under warranty, troubleshooting has made me want to shoot myself. (I'm not going to).  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a z170 ASRock motherboard, I'm wondering since i can get into the motherboard bios and boot screen, are there tests that can be run from there, it is all greek to me on that. 

G

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello gracek,

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Will hold of on too many suggestions until we know the above but can I ask you to try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS.

gracek

gracek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello gracek,

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Will hold of on too many suggestions until we know the above but can I ask you to try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS.

Hi Phil,

I have two sticks, 8 each. I already reset the Bios, many times :-) I ran the Memtest86 via a usb boot of Fedora. I was able to run the memory test, which passed, but it would not boot via the USB stick into Fedora :-( Hardware failure on bluescreen. Motherboard or CPU, but i did run the Intell CPU test prior to total bluescreen. Hmmm. I pulled the RAM and my motherboard gave me the "error" of No ram, then i installed one at a time to try to get to boot, no luck.. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello gracek,

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Bad RAM and Windows not shutting down properly are two common causes of the above error.

When you tried one stick of RAM at a time, did you try each dimm slot and starting with the slot nearest to the CPU first.

I pulled the RAM and my motherboard gave me the "error" of No ram

Suggests that the MB and RAM are ok.

As the computer previously ran ok it effectively rules out hardware incompatibility and may point towards a problem with Windows.

The supplied info suggests that you are unable to boot into Windows at all now but can I ask if when you power up does Windows begin to load, the Windows logo appears on the screen and then you get the blue screen for example.

gracek

gracek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello gracek,

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Bad RAM and Windows not shutting down properly are two common causes of the above error.

When you tried one stick of RAM at a time, did you try each dimm slot and starting with the slot nearest to the CPU first.

I pulled the RAM and my motherboard gave me the "error" of No ram

Suggests that the MB and RAM are ok.

As the computer previously ran ok it effectively rules out hardware incompatibility and may point towards a problem with Windows.

The supplied info suggests that you are unable to boot into Windows at all now but can I ask if when you power up does Windows begin to load, the Windows logo appears on the screen and then you get the blue screen for example.

Yes, most of the time, i get the windows logo, and then the bluscreen with "WHEA_Uncrectable_error" ... 

I have now tested each stick of ram in all 4 slots one at a time. 

I get intermittent bootup responses. 

However, I did ONCE get a Picture of the beach and rocks, the windows opening photo with the time, but it never went to the sign in. Just froze there. 

A few other times, I get "Recovery" It looks like Windows didn't load correctly...

I can get into CMD.exe via the recovery screen, at top it says "Administrator: x:\windows\system32\cme.exe

when i go to change it to C drive, i get C:\> and no way to remove the ">" sign. never seen that before. I can't get directly into C: or C:\windows, (but i don't know what i'm doing really) its been years. 

I went into "see advanced repair options" and have tried the Continue to windows 10 option, which failed. I also went into "troubleshoot" and chose "Reset This Pc" ONE time, it proceeded to reset the PC, it took a while, proceeded to count down the percent till it was "done" but still booted with a failure. 

I am in "startup Repair" and it sees the name of my computer, and asks for my password, Then goes into "diagnosing your PC" then I get "startup repair couldn't repair your PC".. But it shows Log FIle: as D:\\Windows\System32\logfiles\srt\srtTrail.txt

Why in D?

Now I'm running sfc /scannow on D: and C: drives, they began scan, verification 100% complete, "windows resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" 

Before my computer totally died, i did a chkdsk on c: and got "CHKDSK Failed to Transfer Logged Messages to the Event Log with Status 50"

It seems i randomly start with the Repair Screen, but can't repair anything..

The Hard drive still boots up fine on my other computer...

G

Edited by gracek, 21 May 2017 - 11:37 AM.

gracek

gracek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Update, bought new Ram, new motherboard, trying to install windows on HD, now says formatted in MBR not GPT, pulled HD now wiping it on my old computer and formatting to GPT on partition wizard. I'm still getting bluescreen, but if it can't read the HD, well, hopefully this will help. I'l get formatted into GPT then move to the target computer and try to install windows again. If it won't go, then i'm down to the CPU or the HD.

Still won't install Windows 10 on hard drive, I get to the install and accept the terms, then blue screen crash. This is horrible.  i guess Monday, i will go charge a new hard drive and cpu. If anyone has any other ideas. I'm open. 

G

Edited by gracek, 21 May 2017 - 08:55 PM.

gracek

gracek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Update, Got a new HD, still bluescreen on install of windows 10. Says format as MBR not GPT something to do with legacy/vs what ever ... i'm going to find a new site to get help, i've just built a new computer and it still doesn't work. I know everyone's busy, but no ideas anyone? BYe