Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Alert! Previous Fan Failure......advice required

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 desktop.

This morning when I turned it on this was displayed, I have never seen it before:

"Alert! Previous Fan Failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I pressed F1 to continue......at present there is no abnormal noise coming from the computer. Please see 2 attachments, one SpeedFan result from last year September and one from today. Temperature (that is able to be picked up) is normal.

However, I have been hearing an odd grinding noise recently when the computer is resumed from StandBy.......that did seem like the fan was / fans were? having difficulty rotating.

I was Googling with regards to this yesterday.

Does this computer only have one fan?

I have read that to stop the alert reappearing:

"All you need to do is go to the BIOS, by continually tapping on F2 immediately after you start your computer, then expand all the trees by hitting the right button on your keyboard and find event log and clear it out."

I don't feel confident enough to work inside a computer.......but what should be done to the fan please? I guess it is full of dust and I won't be able to get parts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached File  SpeedFan 20 5 2017.bmp   724.55KB   425 downloads

Attached File  SpeedFan results.bmp   679.27KB   380 downloads

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I am not familiar with that particular computer, but based on what you said it is likely that the fan needs to be replaced. Typically it is a common part and standard sized fans are used. If you were comfortable in opening the case, there are means of testing the fan, but it is not 100%. Fans are fairly cheap so it is not a big expense to just replace it.

You can clear the fan warning and then if it happens again you will know that you have a problem.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for your advice Kemasa.

Not seen alert since (yet), it went by itself.

This is my only computer, if it were a spare I'd be happy to dive in, try, learn......

But I'm afraid I'll break it and then I won't have a computer.

It's sounding sick though.......intermittently on start-up and resume after StandBy - inconsistent buzzing / grinding noise.

I found this for Dell Dimension 8100:

http://www.ebay.co.u...mMakeTrack=true

Edited by scarlet.rose, 20 May 2017 - 05:36 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If you don't feel comfortable dealing with it yourself, then you need to get someone to fix it for you before it fails completely since then it can cost you more time and money.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok.....thank you.

After thought, if it's a case of simply uplugging the old fan and putting the new in exactly the same place, I'm sure I could manage that?

I have the Dell manual.

Not had another alert yet. Today computer has been sounding better. It's an intermittent problem.......I shall monitor it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It depends on the design. Often it is a matter of unplugging it and unbolting it from the case, but other times there can be other things which get in the way. You could open up the case and see what it looks like. There can be 4 screws and nuts which hold the fan in place.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Your help is much appreciated Kemasa.

Well I've just been looking at the Dell manual, very little info on the fan other than it having a 3-pin connector, not even a good diagram showing where it is.

After searching from what I've gathered access to this fan is not straightforward.

All is ok again today, but if the problem returns / worsens I'll either attempt to change it myself or ask a PC World tec to do the job.

To give you an idea of the noise......someone wrote this about the Dell Dimension 8100 fan......made me laugh. >>

"This fan has a problem where it begins to wear out and sound like a helicopter. Not good."

Edited by scarlet.rose, 22 May 2017 - 05:40 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Honestly, it is not going to get better, so it is really better to fix it sooner rather than later. Fans can make a lot of different noise, as well as just stopping so that it is quiet. It might also not be moving enough air to cool as well.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, point taken, I will buy the fan I mentioned earlier:

http://www.ebay.co.u...mMakeTrack=true

I can hear the fan operating at present, but not the abnormal noise. SpeedFan currently shows the HD0 temperature to be ok - 34C, but that could change at any point and might not be a 100% reliable test.

The Dell Alert! Previous Fan Failure was a warning.

I don't want to risk the chance of the system overheating and failing.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 23 May 2017 - 04:23 AM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I just received another: "Alert! Previous Fan Failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I'd like to mark this as solved, as you have answered my question.....but will that close the topic? I want to leave it open in case I need to ask you another question.

Once I've paid international postage, a Customs charge along with £8 GBP Royal Mail handling fee for that fan it will not be cheap.......probably money I should put towards a new computer ideally, but I think I'll continue anyway. Want to double check a few things first before I buy.

UPDATE

I might order this one:

http://cpufans.ecrat...8100-fan-pc-cpu

....as JMC DATECH fan is what my computer has I believe (saw picture of one that had been pulled from a Dell Dimension 8100). Other shop I originally chose is selling JMC or NMB fan?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 24 May 2017 - 01:48 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Honestly, I am not sure what limits are in place if it is marked as solved.

Often companies use a variety of products, so it could have either one. For the most part it does not matter which one it is from if it is from a vendor which was originally used, just the size does.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the info....

To update you.....after a further search I just bought this brand new one.....(best deal):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370586029487

JMC DATECH is one of the Original Equipment Manufacturers of Dell Computer cooling fans, this is the 3 pin connector fan the Dell Dimension 8100 has. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 07 June 2017 - 07:39 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I hope that solves your problem and is not too hard to replace. Just take your time. Sometimes taking photos before and as you take things apart can help putting it back together if it is complicated. In this case, it should just be some screws and a plug, but there could be a fan guard, so you want to take notice how it all goes together.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you.......that's very good advice, I'll make sure to look carefully before dismantling it.

Where I was originally intending to buy from: "...we have provided a diagram-photograph depicting the removal procedure for the fan and bezel-bracket assembly. See photos." This will help:

http://cpufans.ecrat...100-fan-pc-cpu#

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

While waiting on the fan to arrive you could take the cover off and visually look at the fan to see how it looks. Also if the noise starts again you might be able to determine better where the noise is coming from.