Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Office Outlook 2007 Can't Open - All Other Office Programs Work

• Please log in to reply

dee71

dee71

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hello,

Here I am again with a new problem.  I use MS Office Outlook 2007 to receive my Email. I prefer since I use  "Task" folders for my reminders + my address book is there also. I got the Free Windows 10 OS upgrade last summer.

Two days ago, I tried to open Outlook to read my email. I got the box from my Comcast / Xfinity provider that wanted me to re-type my User Name & Password, so I did and it popped up 3 or 4 times. Then a box popped up where I could change my password. (I had to change PW several months ago so I didn't think anything of it) . I thought that's why Outlook wouldn't open. So I went through the process & got a new PW. Then when I went back to Outlook It still wouldn't open. I could see the blue Outlook screen & some of the file items listed at the lower left (Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Task) & at the upper left. I could see (File, Edit, Go, Tools, Help) but I couldn't click on anything. Pop up in middle of screen said " The file C:\Users\Dorothy\App\Data\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook\.pst cannot be opened", (and box with OK).  When I clicked OK, Outlook & error message disappeared from screen. ALL the other Office Programs work fine!  Only having issue with Outlook!

I've been using Google & sometimes I use MS Edge for browser. I have received several pop ups the past couple weeks asking me "Did you want to switch to MS Edge". Seems it continues to want me to use "MS Edge and Defender for anti-virus". I want to stay with Norton Security since I'm familiar with it. I don't like changes I don't understand.

At the beginning, This popped up on my desktop (error said " Outlook experienced a serious problem with the Norton anti-spam plugin'- add-in.....Do you want to disable this add-in". Not sure, but I think I clicked yes.

I ran a Norton Security scan of my computer & all checked out fine, no problems.

Then when I was checking other Office programs I happen to see " Microsoft Office Diagnostics". I ran it & said "No Cause Found". Somewhere I found "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter that I ran & it said  "Troubleshooting has completed. Issues Found....Incompatible Program".

I was on Comcast/Xfinity site & I tried to Import Outlook Address book but it said "Sorry, we couldn't find that page. The page you are looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted."

Can this be fixed or will I have to Uninstall Office & loose my Address Book & Task notes?  I am able to receive & send emails on the Comcast /Xfinity site & also on my phone.  

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

mail setup.PNG Hi dee71.  :wave: It can be very frustrating when you can't get something like Outlook to work correctly, so let's see if we can get it fixed. 

It sounds like Outlook can't find your outlook.pst file, for some reason, so let's see if we can figure out where it is. Please right-click on the Windows icon in the lower left and select Control Panel. Once it's open, type Mail in the search box in the upper right, then click on the result that comes up. You'll have a box that looks like this:

mail setup.PNG

Click on the button titled Data Files.... This will bring up the location of your data file. Please give me the full path in your reply.

sari

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi Seri,

Thank you for replying to my Outlook problem.

Mail Setup - Outlook ......Data Files : Outlook Data Files (Photo attached).

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

It looks like the correct file is the default, but I don't know why you have a second .pst file that's listed as part of Comcast.net. Can you expand that and see the full file path? I'd like to remove that from Outlook (it won't delete the file) and then create a new profile in Outlook to see if that fixes the problem. 

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hello Sari, I have good news!

You gave the correct info & then you asked me: "Can you expand that and see the full file path? ".  I was trying to find a way to expand to get more info on path. On this same box that you had me in, I selected the EMAIL tab. It showed me "my email address & the Type  IMAP/SMPT (send from this account by default)".  Then I saw a note below this info that said "Click Settings" for more Info.   I selected the 1st file name with my email address I then clicked Settings & then an error box came up that said "An unknown error occurred, error code 0x80040116". I checked the Personal File & it gave me the same Error Code 0x80040116. While in this box with Settings, I saw a Tab that said "Repair" so I selected that tab & it had me type in my password, then a box came up that said "Repair Email Account" at the top of the box & below that it said "Congratulations!  Configuring has been done! so I clicked "Finish" .  I shut down computer, waited & then I clicked on my Desktop Email Shortcut. Hurrah!! Everything is working just like it did!

Since you're an Aministrator, would you please delete the 1 Photo I sent. I didn't see a way to delete it.

Please Mark this problem Resolved!  

Thanks so much! 

Dee71

Edited by dee71, 23 May 2017 - 08:27 PM.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Since you're an Aministrator, would you please delete the 1 Photo I sent. I didn't see a way to delete it.

Please Mark this problem Resolved!  

Thanks so much! 

Dee71

Done. Your email address is safe :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

dee71,

I'm so glad you got this problem fixed! Thanks, azarl, for removing the picture. I was away from my computer when I got the reply, and unable to edit it from my phone. Thank you also for letting us know the problem had been resolved. 

sari