Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System freezes/lags/stutters when moving mouse/typing on keyboard

Best Answer Mooncalf99 , 16 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

Well, here's the requested screenshot, in case it helps any. (I personally prefer the Snipping Tool for making screenshots - it's much faster and easier than pasting it into MS Paint.) That sa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi! I'm having a deeply frustrating issue. Some issue is popping up sporadically, causing my system to freeze, lag, or stutter (I don't know the proper term for it) when it receives input from the mouse or keyboard. (Both plugged into USB ports. Have tried switching ports, didn't help.) The pointer sticks for a second before jumping to a new spot, games and programs freeze, and any sound playing gets horribly distorted. When it's not getting input, things run as well as they should, except for a brief freeze every five seconds or so. CPU usage seems to spike when it freezes, too, although I haven't checked that every time.

As you can likely see, this makes working impossible. I don't know if it wears off because I end up having to reboot every time.

The worst part is that I have absolutely no idea what sets it off - sometimes the computer can run for a whole day with no problem, other times it strikes after I've just logged in, or after an hour or so, or any time.

I've run virus scans and malware scans with no results, and cleaned up the registry with CCleaner. Didn't fix. Couldn't spot any suspicious new processes running in Task Manager. Haven't had any hardware changes since well before this started, unless it's been lying low since.

Frankly, except for reformatting and reinstalling, I'm at the end of my rope here. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Attached: Full specs for my system courtesy of Dxdiag.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Diag.txt   27.97KB   294 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   Mooncalf99,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode only (no networking) to see if the problem persists.

You are using a HP Wireless Comfort Desktop keyboard and USB mouse, is there any other wireless device nearby that could be interfering with the signal,a router or games console etc, a nearby microwave oven can even cause issues.

If your MB has the wired PS/2 type ports, do you have or can you borrow a wired keyboard and mouse for testing purposes.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Will try a wired setup and remove the HPWC. I'll leave the machine on overnight, see if it bugs out. If so, will try safe mode.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Okay, discovered something interesting: the phenomenon isn't affected by a keyboard plugged into a PS/2 port. Everything works fine when I type on that. The mouse, however, is a USB wired Logitech mouse, and the computer lags and screeches when I move it.

It seems that there's a problem with my USB ports? Like I said before, I had tried different USB ports, and nothing helped.

For some reason, I also have about a dozen entries for USB controllers in my device manager (see attached screenshot). Is that what might be causing the problem? I have no idea which one goes where or if I need all of that; there are six ports on the back and two on the front. (It's a Cooler Master case, if that helps.)

Attached Thumbnails

• device_manager.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Okay, discovered something interesting: the phenomenon isn't affected by a keyboard plugged into a PS/2 port. Everything works fine when I type on that. 

Suspected that it might, keep the wired keyboard connected for now.

Note the yellow ! against the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller, as a starting point, right click on the device in Device Manager, select Properties, let us know what it says in the Device Status dialogue box.

Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the computer or the same for the motherboard if it is a custom build, we need to find the latest/appropriate 64-bit drivers for the Renesas device.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm actually not sure if that one is a Renesas device. Earlier (long before this bug started acting up), I noticed that my (then nameless) USB 3.0 didn't have any drivers, so I did a google search for some, found the Renesas, and installed them. Didn't seem to work properly, but my computer wasn't suffering, so I dropped the issue until later.

Furthermore, I uninstalled all my USB controllers in an attempt to get them to auto-reinstall properly. The others did (and work properly, though the bug keeps happening), but there's no mention of any Renesas devices anymore.

I do have a generic (and !-marked) USB controller listed under "other devices".

device.PNG

Computer is custom build, with a M4A89GTD Pro motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I can see at least one more device that has a yellow ! against it - when was Windows installed on this computer.

Create a new folder on your desktop and name it drivers, download and save to the folder the Windows 7 64-bit USB drivers from here hold off installing them for now.

Post back and let us know the answer to the above question please.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Drivers saved, not installed. OS was installed 10/14/2016.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Reason I asked was in case it was recent and the chipset drivers had not been installed, for now, uninstall the present USB 3.0 drivers, restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) install the drivers that you have just saved, restart the computer and test.

Getting late here and have an early start in the morning so going offline now, will check back some time tomorrow to see how things are going.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

That went so-so. Installing in Safe Mode didn't work - it kept saying "cannot find Windows Installer" (?). So I opted to just run normal mode without the network cable plugged in. (I'm not on wi-fi.) I think that should be enough, correct me if I'm wrong. Running normally, it installed... fairly well. The installer said it worked, but I got a popup saying the installation didn't install properly?

Anyway, here's the thing: I now have two new entries in the manager - one NEC Electronics and one Renesas, the latter of which has a yellow error mark. Here, the screenshot will tell better:usb.PNG

Should I remove the Renesas one, in case there's some kind of conflict? Guess I'll have to wait and see if that bug rears its ugly head again...

Also, that other yellow flag you spotted - the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"? It complained about not having enough resources to run. But it's apparently corrected now. No idea how it's related.

Have a good night. I really appreciate the help, thanks. :)

Edited by Mooncalf99, 27 May 2017 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Mooncalf99,

I`m wondering if the following two are related, do you have any expansion cards at all.

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Renesas electronics usb 3.0 root hub

I also noticed the following in the Utilities download for your MB USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver V2.0.4.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7, not being named doesn`t help us as it could well be the mystery Renesas device/driver.

If you uninstall the Renesas driver and it re installs every time you reboot that would normally suggest that there was hardware present that required such drivers.

You are welcome btw  :)

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No, no expansion cards of any kind.

I tested disabling the Renesas controller, then plugging usb drives into every usb port to see if any were unresponsive. They all responded. So it clearly didn't actually handle any of those.

Then I uninstalled it completely (and its drivers) and rebooted. Upon starting up again... I got the message "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub installed correctly". In the Manager, the Renesas Root Hub entry is now replaced with "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub", with no errors. So I guess I don't actually have any Renesas products and everything *should* be working properly now, knock on wood.

Still no idea if any of this had any connection to the freeze issue... I guess I'll just have to wait say a week, and if it doesn't happen again I'll mark this as resolved. Unless you have further advice?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Unless you have further advice?

If things now appear stable you should create a new system restore point for the present settings.

Other than the new restore point all I would suggest is that if not done already once you have created the new restore point try the original HP Wireless Comfort Desktop keyboard and let us know how it goes.

Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Well, the freeze is still happening, so all that fixing the usb drivers didn't help. Haven't yet plugged the HPWC keyboard in, either. But yeah, original issue persists. Any other ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Well, the freeze is still happening, so all that fixing the usb drivers didn't help. 

You had two yellow exclamation marks showing in the Device Manager and the wrong drivers installed for the MBs NEC USB 3.0 Root Hub, both issues needed to be and have been resolved, you have not wasted your time in any way and keep in mind that this may not be USB port problem but one with the present mouse, it is the only thing that has been present throughout

Suggestions;

Let us know how the computer and the present mouse behave when the computer is booted into Safe Mode only (no networking) already suggested I know but you have not got back to us on any outcome. 

Will try a wired setup and remove the HPWC. I'll leave the machine on overnight, see if it bugs out. If so, will try safe mode.

As previously suggested, try a wired mouse + additionally remove the present mouse and keyboard and try connecting the original HP Wireless Comfort Desktop keyboard on its own and see if that works ok, the latter best done after Windows has booted up.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Download DriverView from nirsoft.net

Run DriverView.

Save the results as a Text File.

Copy/paste the info into your next reply for us.

Take and upload a screenshot of Device Manager with the HID and Mice entries expanded as in my example attachment below;