Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 pro factory reset

• Please log in to reply

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

sorry........last reply was a  mistake; i thought i could copy the result to you.

could you please tell me the correct way to post the result to you.

thanks

bj

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Please create a screen shot showing the problem then attach the image to the topic.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

roger3.jpg

hope this helps towards sorting my problem

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

hope this helps towards sorting my problem

Definitively :) you are using the chorme web browser to list the folder contents and you must use explorer.

From the Desktop open This PC -> drive c:\ and then navigate to the other folders until you see the Download folder contents.

Using the windows explorer you can manage the files and folders, not using the internet browser.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

i followed your info and opened the download folder.

the downloads you gave me [ also donna's ] were there but not the  c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\  download.

i opened internet explorer and tried to d/l the file.

it did not show the contents of the folder [ which occurred when d/l'd in chrome ] but showed a results page that did not lead me to the desired download.

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Please follow my instructions correctly!

Its Explorer not Internet Explorer, the first is integrated on Windows and is used to access folders, copy, delete, move, files and folders, etc. the second is used to access the Internet.

ximg_559ca466434f5.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi there,

Please pardon my intrusion. Hope you don't mind if I jump back in for a moment.

@ bj,

As Sleepydude pointed out, Explorer and Internet Explorer are two different things. He needs for you access the following file path in your computer to get to the right download folder:

The easiest way that I know is to do as follows:

Click on your Start Orb VISTAORB.jpg
In the Search programs and files area copy then paste in the following file path.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Press your Enter key.
A window should pop up with the Download and a folder to the left of it.
Click on Download in that window and the following window should open.

Capture.PNG

As you can see in my image, you should see the following file oath at the top of your Window:

Computer > LocalDisk (C:) > Windows > SoftwareDistribution > Download >

As shown in my image I have highlighted the folders and files then right clicked on the highligthed area which resulted in the right click menu popping up. You should see one that is "similar" and Delete should be found in the list.

Hope that helps... :)

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

great to  hear from you again donna.

i have deleted the contents of the folder and the free space is now 3.6gb from a total of 232gb.

i am puzzled by this because i only use the laptop for browsing, youtube. emails and reading newspapers.......no music ....video...photos.....work storage.

thank you

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Now there is one more task to free some space used by Windows Update...

From the Start button menu, choose All ProgramsAccessoriesSystem Tools→right click Disk Cleanup and select the option Run as Administrator

select the drive C: and wait for the initial scan to complete then make sure you check the option Windows Update Cleanup and any other option you would like to clean (all of them are safe to delete).

Confirm the operation and wait then Restart the Computer, the Windows Update Cleanup operation will only ends several minutes after the restart and only them the system will free the disk space.

After this how is the free space?

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

disk clean up freed up 707mb.

checked in computer c disk and  the free space reading is 3.35gb.

last night when replying to donna's post the free space was more...... 3.6gb.??

i have not used the laptop since last night............i just do not understand the situation here; where is all this space being used?????

could it it be that i bought the laptop as used on ebay 2 years ago and there could be historic storage hidden somewhere..

bj

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Please run chkdsk again according with the instruction on post #17 then post an updated image of WinDirStat like you did before but with the bigger folders expanded.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
logcheck1.jpg

diskcheck result

bj

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

sleepydude

i cannot make satisfactory screenshots...........they are small and barely visible.

i tried the magnifier slider but the slightest movement produced very large images [ off screen ]

after the diskcheck the free space increased to 3.88gb

bj

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

great to hear from you again donna.

Hi bjr. I have a feeling that SleepyDude might be away from his desk, so I will jump in and provide a bit of guidance in his absence.

First of all I edited your post above with the disk check image and removed one of the two images you attached. If you click on the image you will notice that the image will enlarge on it's own to make it more visible. To close the enlarged image, just scroll down and look for the Close at the bottom of the image.

Honestly, you could have just opened the text file then copy and pasted the log file into your reply instead of creating an image of the text fill to attach.

Let's see another WinDirStat image like you posted for us in post #13.

This time when the little pacmen are finished, click on the little + sign to the left of the winsxs and the SoftwareDistribution folders and take screen shots of them. I have a feeling they will expand to the point where we won't be able to see everything, so if you can just do one folder at a time but make sure to close the other one before you open the other next one.

If that sounds confusing let me know and I will try to explain myself better. :)

WinDirStat instructions:
  • Click on the desktop icon to run the program.
  • Click on Individual Drives and then click on the C: drive.
  • When the pacmen have finished there will be a graphic display of that drive.
  • Click on the + (plus) sign to expand the folders found.
  • Place your cursor on the divider line between the text above and the color graph below and drag downwards to expand the upper portion of the resultant image produced.
  • Please create a screen shot and attach or upload the image to your next post so I can have a look

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

roglog.jpg [                             attachment=85244:roglog2.jpg][

Attached Thumbnails

• roglog2.jpg