Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 pro factory reset

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please run WinDirStat again, same options ticked as instructions in reply #57.

When the results window is displayed, 

On the left side, > click the + sign next to users.

Look further down the list and click the + sign next to <files>

Please take a screenshot and upload. 

Advertisements

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

rog5.jpg

new s/s

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Expand the User folder under c:\Users look for a very big .VHD file.

Did you configure some Window Backup using the Windows Backup tool and set the backup to the same HDD inside a VHD file?

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

rog6.jpg

i could not locate the file and i have not  carried out the procedure you mentioned [ i would not know how to do this ].

when i expand 'user' i noticed windowsbackupimage is showing over 200gb.

i made a s/s.

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

i could not locate the file and i have not  carried out the procedure you mentioned [ i would not know how to do this ].

when i expand 'user' i noticed windowsbackupimage is showing over 200gb.

Yep that's it. The .VHD is probably hidden inside the folder Backup 2017-04-03...

To regain space you need to delete the WindowsImageBackup folder or move it to an external HDD drive. Because its an old backup you can simply delete it and create a new backup to an external HDD instead of moving.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

when i clicked the vdh file a warning message appeared reading; '' do you know what you are doing? your computer could be seriously damaged' if the file is removed ''

so i was nervous to continue.

when you refer to external drive; is this a memory stick?

is it important that i make a back up image?

i have a cd compartment in the laptop. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

when i clicked the vdh file a warning message appeared reading; '' do you know what you are doing? your computer could be seriously damaged' if the file is removed ''
so i was nervous to continue.

Removing the file/folder will not damage your computer for sure.

when you refer to external drive; is this a memory stick?

You can use a memory stick if you want. The important part is to keep it on a save place and reserved only for backups.

is it important that i make a back up image?

Yes, the backup image can be used to restore the computer to the exact state the system was at the time the backup was created. A backup image can be a life saver in case of virus, HDD failure, Windows corruption, etc.

Keeping a backup image is very important in you case because if I remember correctly you don't have the Windows 7 install DVD and the machine also don't have a recovery partition to allow recovering the system in case of problems!

i have a cd compartment in the laptop.

If I'm not mistaken its possible to split the backup to several DVD's but because of the amount of data to copy you will need several disks and every time you create a new backup set you have to burn new DVD's or use writable media. This isn't a very practical way to do backups especially if you do this regularly as it should be...

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

sleepydude

can you confirm my next step.

1. buy 256gb usb memory stick.

2. send the backup image files to memory stick.

3. delete the files.

bj

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Yes you can do that.

But if you need to purchase the memory stick then I would buy instead an external HDD 2.5" USB 3 500GB or more, for example:

https://www.newegg.c...000N0-_-Product

I found Hard Drives more reliable to store backups they are faster and you also get more space to store backups.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

i have ordered an external  hdd.....arriving tuesday.

i will make contact as soon as i have carried out the backup and file deletion.

bj

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Ok, good.

If you allow me a suggestion about a better backup software that is Macrium Reflect free its more efficient and not hard to use, one of the best features is the creation of a Rescue Disk on a DVD or flash drive that you can use to boot the computer when Windows fail to boot, from there is possible to access the backup contents or restore the system to a working state using the image stored on the external hdd.

The company publish several guides about using the software.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

thank you....i will do that

bj

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi all,

external hdd arrived today.

before i go ahead as instructed here; would it be a good option to create a back up as per the windows 7 [ via control panel etc ] route.

i was thinking the entire content of disk ''c'' would be sent to the hdd; not just the target file.

bj 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

I do not think it's worth it.

If windows and the programs installed are working fine then its a good time to create a backup image using Macrium Reflect free, simple delete the big folder Backup 2017-04-03... install Macrium and save the backup image to the external drive.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

i have d/loaded macrium reflect free and getting a flash drive for the rescue/recovery feature.

i now have over 200gb of free space on my c drive which solves my problem.

i would like to thank donna......iammykyl and yourself sleepydude for the help,patience and expertise  you have given to me here on this excellent forum.

i have learned quite a few things along the way to the final conclusion.....much appreciated.

bj