Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Spot with Lines on Screen of 2 month old Acer Aspire Laptop - Shou

acer aspire laptops macbook question advice screen issues

• Please log in to reply

toryerp

toryerp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey all, I'm having a dilemma.

TLDR: my new Acer Aspire E 15 laptop has a messed up screen, should I get a refund and either finance a MacBook or find a used MacBook, or try to repair the Acer?

In mid march I bought a new laptop - an Acer Aspire E 15 from Amazon. A couple weeks ago I opened it and there was a big black spot on the screen with white lines coming from it. The laptop hadn't been dropped or even moved, I don't know what caused it. But reviews on amazon said other people had the same problem a month or two after buying the laptop.

I contacted amazon and they said I can return it for a refund. I contacted the seller and they said I could send it to them for repair. However, I use my laptop for work and couldn't go that long without it for them to fix it. When I contacted Acer about the warranty, they said that since the black spot is "finger shaped" (??) it's not covered under warranty. But it is so large that it's a real problem when trying to work, or even just generally use it.

So now I have to decide whether to get it repaired or get a refund and buy a new laptop. I'm leaning toward the latter. I really want a MacBook and was approved for financing from Apple.
However, my friend made the point that computers are kind of like cars in that they depreciate in value after you buy them. So is it really worth getting a new MacBook and financing it? Or should I look into getting a used one for cheaper? If I get a used one, how old is too old for it not to be worth it? What's a good model? Do you think I'm making the right choice?

The internet said that the Acer Aspire E 15 that I have now is one of the best for the money. And I could also just replace the screen for about $50. Just looking for opinions / advice. I've wanted a MacBook for a while -- I'm a graphic designer. But what would you do in this situation? Thanks!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
"Don't buy a new MacBook right now, no matter what model you're considering.

A report this week suggested that Apple is gearing up to announce new MacBooks as soon as next month during its annual developer conference, known as WWDC. It makes perfect sense, too, since this is where Apple typically unveils new software that powers its computers. In this case, we're expecting an update to macOS."

Fix the screen for 50.00, start saving for the new MacBook

toryerp

toryerp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

"Don't buy a new MacBook right now, no matter what model you're considering.

A report this week suggested that Apple is gearing up to announce new MacBooks as soon as next month during its annual developer conference, known as WWDC. It makes perfect sense, too, since this is where Apple typically unveils new software that powers its computers. In this case, we're expecting an update to macOS."

Fix the screen for 50.00, start saving for the new MacBook

Oh wow, very good to know. Thank you for the tip!