Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several questions regarding MS Office

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

1. Can I transfer a copy from one PC to a another when I got it from a repair shop? My laptop is in bad shape I am considering a replacement.

2. If I get an older version used can it still open documents from new MS office?

3. Should I even trust a used MS office copy?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 02 June 2017 - 12:41 AM.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello RebelGamer137,

Not sure which version of Office you have at the moment, or which OS is currently on your computer.

I myself am still using Office 2007 on my 11-year-old desktop computer which was running XP but has now been upgraded to Windows 7. I  also have a laptop which has been upgraded to Windows 10 and I purchased a copy of Office 2013 for that - and I regularly swap Word files from one computer to the other without there being any problem.

The following link leads to a chart which tells you which versions of Office are compatible with Windows 10 (assuming you are getting a Windows 10 laptop): - http://www.keynotesu...ity-chart.shtml

I am not exactly sure what you mean by: 'Should I even trust a used MS office copy'. Do you mean the one previously used by you, or another one? You should be able to load any undamaged copy of a compatible version of Office - but bear in mind that you will have to enter the Microsoft Product Key, so you will need to have that to hand.

You may actually be able to download a digital copy of a previous version of Office free from the Microsoft website; the Product key is the most important part!

Hope this helps,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 02 June 2017 - 06:57 AM.

neocz

neocz

• Pip
  • 4 posts

1. Can I transfer a copy from one PC to a another when I got it from a repair shop? My laptop is in bad shape I am considering a replacement.

2. If I get an older version used can it still open documents from new MS office?

3. Should I even trust a used MS office copy?

Its very important to consider the data that you want to open on a new version of MS Office because if your Ms documents created in the old version some setting will be messed up but if only text files without any add-ons then yes can still open it but some minor adjustment only to be done on the body of your documents. Best for you is to install the license package because as i been encounter some plugins or tools are not present on the copy version of MS Office.