Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer start up question

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings, Dumb question, out of curiosity mainly. Running an Asus K53E, Win7 Home Prem. I turn the computer on, in less than 10 seconds the sign-on screen appears. I sign on, after a few seconds the desktop appears and then after about 10 minutes I'm finally able to use the computer. The little light that shows the CPU is thinking stays on (for lack of better words) and I can do nothing but wait for 10 minutes. Is this normal?

tjmcs

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It could be considered "normal" on a computer with an old 5,400 RPM hard drive, especially if it also has a slow CPU and/or less than 4 GB of RAM.

Edited by SpywareDr, 04 June 2017 - 12:19 PM.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Thanks, Doc. Have 8 GB installed. Since I have a post open in Web Browsers and memory was mentioned, I'll just say Memtest86+ showed no problems. Was just curious.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

8 GB is good. Which CPU and hard drive is in it?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz. Hitachi HTS547550A9E384.

James-51

James-51

• Pip
  • 4 posts

You can also check what is all starting by typing msconfig at the start button click on start-up tab, and stop anything that is not needed at start-up. Also check to see if your anti-virus is doing a start-up scan.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Already done that, James.

James-51

James-51

• Pip
  • 4 posts

If you go to control panel, performance info and tools, advanced tools. Is there yellow triangles, one may state that there are programs causing windows to start slowly, If not you can  check event viewer. I know you may have already done these things, just trying out some simple suggestions first, you know check out the easy stuff first then work your way up. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Problem: Performance wise, your Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 hard disk drive (HDD)'s platters spinning at a leisurely 5,400 RPM are a huge problem.

Solution: Samsung 500GB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Disk (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM - $179

https://smile.amazon...s=MZ-75E500B/AM
https://www.bhphotov..._500gb_2_5.html

The difference between a HDD and SSD is amazing. Less power, less heat, no noise and it's blazingly fast.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Will look into it. Thanks.