Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10: public or private network (Solved)

- - - - -

Best Answer iammykyl , 11 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

.So my daughter should set it to private, but with Network Discovery turned off?Chris.No.   Set Network to Public and Network Discovery to off.   Means she can access a public networ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello there!

Really quick question....... My daughter came to me last night really alarmed because she had discovered that her Windows 10 laptop - which is connected to our wireless - says it is connected to a public network. She was so worried she has turned on flight mode!

I have a home network to enable me to share between my desktop and notebook. My daughter doesn't want to be a part of that (heaven forbid that Mum should be able to view her files :) ) so I am thinking that public is actually probably the right setting for her. Am I correct, please?

Chris.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
With respect, you did not answer my question, Freebooter!

I know how to change the setting. I just need to know which setting she should be on! Public automatically makes one think it is insecure, but am not sure that this actually is the case. I need a clear explanation of what the two settings mean.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A public network is a type of network wherein anyone, namely the general public, has access and through it can connect to other networks or the Internet.

correct for the actual; network, but if you do not wish your device to be seen by others, you need to turn off Network Discovery

<>  http://www.digitalci...blic-windows-10

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Sure. But that's a bit different from what I read at http://www.dummies.c...-in-windows-10/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Sure. But that's a bit different from what I read at http://www.dummies.c...-in-windows-10/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Sorry about posting twice - am on my mobile! :(

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Sorry again, as missed your reply iammykyl.

So my daughter should set it to private, but with Network Discovery turned off?

Chris.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please see reply 5

system has a hiccup,

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

.So my daughter should set it to private, but with Network Discovery turned off?

Chris.

No.   Set Network to Public and Network Discovery to off.   Means she can access a public network but no one e;se on the network can see her device.

Usual Microsoft making things simple :D

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
That's what I thought originally, although then I got confused! You are right about Microsoft liking to make things complicated! :)

Will get my daughter to leave it set to 'Public', but disable Network Discovery.

Thanks very much for your help.

Chris.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are very welcome.

:thumbsup: