Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a program which finds identical content of folders (not files

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

River Horse

River Horse

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Is there a program which finds identical (by bit, byte) content of a folder (folder names may be different)?

So, all folders (with different or same names) which have identical content shall be displayed.

Identical content: each file of a duplicate content folder would be equal by content (not by their names) to a file in a duplicate folder.

The folders equal by their contents being found should be displayed so that all of them besides of one of them could be removed.

Advertisements

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thank you very much for the link!

I had tried the program but not find a way to do what I want, what do I have to do to let it show equal folders by content?

And obviously: "Windows is not supported any more because dupeGuru and moneyGuru lack a Windows maintainer."

Many thanks again

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

The only program I know that can find duplicated files and also folders is Spaceman 99 http://www.extrabit.com/spaceman99/available as Trial.

It can identify duplicated folders also when the folders are named differently and the files inside can also have different names but with the exact same contents.

The program have a little learning curve... visually there is an icon (three red dots that ID a duplicated folder) and its possible to export the result using File -> Report... -> tab Duplicate Folders

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hello SleepyDude,

Thank you very much! Finding even duplicate folders with different namens and identical content files with different names is exactly what I want. Never heard of that program, never found it.

Many thanks again

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hello sam,

Thank you very much! Looks great that page, I will have a closer look at it.

What program of those ones does find identical content of folders best? DupeGuru does find such quite good but one cannot exclude files from the search when searching for equal folder content.

imanalien2020

imanalien2020

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Im not sure about this but i have recently used a top rated duplicate files finder and erased the duplicates it found and it totally screwed up my pc, i had to completely reinstall..so if you plan to ever remove duplicates in my opinion and with my experience with that part be very careful 

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Which one did you use?

Did you remove duplicates on C: / the operating system?

Thank you, yes, I will try to be careful.