Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to recover the formatted data while changing the OS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ramsivaprakash

ramsivaprakash

• Pip
  • 2 posts

i was using windows 10 and i tried to make my system a dual boot Ubuntu along with windows.but during the process i lost windows 10 OS and all my data in the hard disk and the system became Ubuntu.
how can i recover those data's like they where before?
if i switch to windows 10 can i recover my all data's?

Edited by ramsivaprakash, 13 June 2017 - 01:34 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Unless you have a backup, they're gone. You could try a program like Recuva and it may find some of the files but most will be gone.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Are you sure that Windows is not available ?

Hold down your shift key, and boot up your "Ubuntu" computer. This should cause it to display your Grub boot loader.

If your Windows 10 install is still present, it should be listed in Grub, and if you click on it it should load.

If it is not listed in Grub, then it looks like you have installed Ubuntu over your old install instead of beside it, and as Ztruker says, your files have been overwritten, and will likely be unrecoverable.

If it is listed but won't load, Grub is damaged, and will need to be repaired so that you can access Windows 10 (we may or may not be able to do that).

Edited by Gary R, 14 June 2017 - 11:23 PM.