Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why are tasks still runing after patch updates?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

After installing today's monthly patches, the Task Manager shows the MsMpEng.exe, SearchFilterHost.exe, SearchIndexer.exe and SearchProtocolHost.exe running. It's been like that for over 2 hours now. What's going on?

Attached Thumbnails

• Task.jpg

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

MsMpEng.exe is a core process of Windows Defender, which is Microsoft's antispyware utility.

SearchFilterHost.exe is a safe process created by Microsoft. It is essential for some functions of Windows Search to properly work, however search is still capable of working (less fully) without it.

SearchIndexer.exe is the Windows service that handles indexing of your files for Windows Search, which fuels the file search engine built into Windows that powers everything from the Start Menu search box to Windows Explorer, and even the Libraries feature.

SearchProtocolHost.exe Part of Windows Search desktop indexing service.

There is nothing wrong with these processes running only way to stop them running is to disable there services.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

They finally stopped, but it took almost 24 hours!

The whole update was odd. When there is an update from MS, an icon appears in the task bar. I clicked on it and started the patch download. After about 15 min, the icon disappeared from the task bar which it has never done before with an MS download. It wasn't in the hidden icons, either. I clicked on the Action Center icon and it indicated that downloads were ready to install, so I clicked on the install button. Then the AC page went red, similar to the attached photo, and indicated an error code 80240016.

After a while, it did download, but I've never had that happen before.

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Edited by debodun, 14 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

If all the Windows updates installed correctly then there is nothing to worry about this error happens sometimes.