Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why are tasks still runing after patch updates?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

After installing today's monthly patches, the Task Manager shows the MsMpEng.exe, SearchFilterHost.exe, SearchIndexer.exe and SearchProtocolHost.exe running. It's been like that for over 2 hours now. What's going on?

Attached Thumbnails

• Task.jpg

Advertisements

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

They finally stopped, but it took almost 24 hours!

The whole update was odd. When there is an update from MS, an icon appears in the task bar. I clicked on it and started the patch download. After about 15 min, the icon disappeared from the task bar which it has never done before with an MS download. It wasn't in the hidden icons, either. I clicked on the Action Center icon and it indicated that downloads were ready to install, so I clicked on the install button. Then the AC page went red, similar to the attached photo, and indicated an error code 80240016.

After a while, it did download, but I've never had that happen before.

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Edited by debodun, 14 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.