Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowing down a process

Technology Programme Machine Camera Live feed Hardware Software Slowing down Console Manipulate

• Please log in to reply

Ask1994

Ask1994

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, sorry I'm a rookie in the computing/technology world hope you guys can be of assistance.
There something I've been thinking about recently which is that is it possible to slow down a chain of events that are taking place in a machine/computer/programme.
To give an example say there is a live video feed that is recording certain events (CCTV IN A ROOM), and I am using a machine/programme that is showing the live feed on the screen while I make notes on the events that are taking place at a given time. Is there a way to make the video lag behind for example 30 seconds? So in a nutshell if I am watching the room through my eyes directly I can predict what the camera is going to show 30 seconds in advance as I have already seen what's taken place however the system will show the event taking place 30 seconds later due to the delay whilst the system still thinks it's a live feed.
I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense but hope you guys get the gist. Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Ask1994

you want to watch live action

capture the action and stream to a computer

record and playback, with a delay.

the first thing you need is a camera,  https://www.google.c...amera under $60

software suggestions

WARNING,  check that any download links are safe and you don.t install additional software like, search engines, browser helpers, etc.

http://www.zachpoff....ve-video-delay/

may need to visit VLC for more help, https://video.stacke...ream-with-delay

Ask1994

Ask1994

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply and it is really helpful however my situation is a little different.

Unfortunately I have No control over the cameras and No access to the software that's providing the live feed and operating the programme. What I am looking to find is maybe a hardware device or electronic equipment that will continue to run the programme at its normal rate but just delay the live feed therefore giving me the ability to see things and make notes 30 seconds after they actually happen whilst the system still thinks that it is live. Is that a possibility? Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

" I have No control over the cameras and No access to the software that's providing the live feed and operating the programme"

Then I can't help you further as it sounds like what you are attempting may not be legal. 

Ask1994

Ask1994

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a personal project that I'm doing for my university degree. I am doing criminal psychology and therefore lack in knowledge in the technological field which is why I am asking for help.
I plan on being a forensic investigator in hopefully a few years time, trust me it's nothing illegal.
Even if you could suggest a website or a blog etc where I can read up on further details would be appreciated.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

You want to manipulate the streamed video, delay the output by X seconds.   only two ways, hacking into the system to access the feed, illegal, (can't help at all) or get permission from the owner.