Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something running in the background

• Please log in to reply

WilliamP

WilliamP

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
My CPU usage stays at 14 percent at idle. I have XP . How can I find out what is running?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Press [WinKey]+[R], type in taskmgr and press [Enter]. Click the "Processes" tab then click the "CPU" column header a time or two to sort the list according to the amount of CPU time a process is using. The name of the processes will be over on the left.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
The name of the process is (svchost.exe) Spyware Dr. Mr Kinner I am having a hard time figuring out procexp.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

https://www.howtogee...-is-it-running/

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Here is the file

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you haven't rebooted since running Process Explorer:

Copy the next 2 lines:

TASKLIST /SVC  > \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Start, All Programs, Accessories then  Command Prompt

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply. 

If you have rebooted then also run a new process explorer log.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I have a program called Who Crashed. When I checked it I found this. Please see att.

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot032.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not part of the current problem as it happened back in March.  (May indicate an overheat condition so I would check the heatsink for dust.)

Please do the stuff in my last post.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I had tried to run Windows Update and it hung up. It wouldn't quit looking for updates.and it wouldn't shut down. I had to do a system restart. I know that XP is no longer supported but Office is. Last night I went into safe mode to do a scan and while in safe mode CPU usage would drop to 0. Could it be that Windows update is still trying to run?

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Mr. R Kimmer I am going to try to do what you said in your post. How do I get both lines copied and pasted / Or should I try typing them in?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You can type them in if you want or copy both at the same time or copy each line, paste hit Enter then copy the second, paste hit Enter.

Odds are the culprit is Windows Update.  If you right click on My Computer and select Manage then Services and Applications then Services you can find

Automatic Updates

then right click and select Properties.  Change the Startup Type to Disabled.  Apply.  Then see if you can Stop the service.  IF it won't stop, reboot and it should no longer start.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Bless you my friend. That did the trick. I do thank you. I would give you my first born child,but she is about to turn 59. So just please accept my thanks.