Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade vs. New Build

• Please log in to reply

Nmarebfxmas

Nmarebfxmas

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all!

So I bought this computer back in 2012 before I really got into gaming. It's not really meant for gaming, but I made a couple of tweaks and additions. It was purchased July of 2012. Here are the current specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel i7-3770 3.40 GHz (8 cores)

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

1TB HD

Now keep in mind I'm fairly new to this realm of things, and I don't have any plans to go hardcore gaming. I play FFXIV and it usually runs around 55fps on Medium-High settings. It runs just fine right now, so I'm definitely not complaining. It's been almost 5 years though, and I've definitely noticed some more wear and tear on the machine. 

My main question is this: would it be worth upgrading and getting a new case (when I put in a new power supply it almost didn't fit) along with some updates to the hardware, or would it be better to just start fresh with a solid build? I really don't know what computer lifespans look like these days because prior to this I was going through a computer every few years. 

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a more gaming-friendly setup. Nothing too hardcore, but an upgrade would certainly be a welcome change. Budget would be $1k, and I would want something that would last a good while so that I feel like it's worth it.

Edited by Nmarebfxmas, 16 June 2017 - 03:20 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Nmarebfxmas 

At a quick glance, I would do a little upgrading.   I will do some comparison of your parts later tonight.

Please give the brand/model of MB, case and PSU.

Nmarebfxmas

Nmarebfxmas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Will try and figure that out... It's an HP Pavillion computer that I made some upgrades to in order to get it more game-friendly. I'll edit this post if I find it :)

EDIT: Pegatron 2AD5, case is whatever came with this HP, and I'll get back to you on the PSU. I upgraded that in 2014 but I'll shut down and check soon. I'm almost scared to tinker since it nearly didn't fit when I "crammed" it in there.

EDIT 2: Corsair CX750M

Edited by Nmarebfxmas, 17 June 2017 - 01:44 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

thanks for the info.

PSU is OK, no need to change. , "A decent performing PSU with a pretty high warranty period for this category and enough wattage to meet the demands of a strong system." 

http://www.tomshardw...su,4799-11.html

Case, poor, needs to be upgraded.

CPU, very good, keep.   For a gamer, using the latest sweet spot CPU, i5 7600K, insignificant difference, overall the i7 is better.    without giving lots of comparisons, this just about sums it up,

http://www.game-deba...i5-7600K 3.8GHz

GPU, As you are close to the 60 FPS, and happy with game play, no great gain by upgrading.

MB, very good.    > http://www.findlapto...d5-corporation/

2 x SATA III 6Gb/s connectors, suppor SSD.   Only really lack M.2, DDR4 and USB 3.1, so having them makes no difference to gaming.

Wait for details and reviews for the Intel Kaby Lake-X i5 7640x or i7 7740x  LGA 2066 socket on new X299 chipset MBs, code-named Basin Falls; reported prices similar to present Kaby Lake.   The current LGA 1051  socket is likely to be obsolete with no further new CPUs.

I would upgrade the case, transfer parts.

Upgrade the Boot drive to a SSD, 500GB, keep the existing HDD for Data Backup.

Clean install of the current OS.