Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Unable to Update - Download Doesn't Start

• Please log in to reply

Joeicam

Joeicam

Malware Removal

• Malware Removal
  • 1,289 posts

Hello again everyone,

Back again with another Windows 7 machine that's unable to update. I've tried several things already, as they were fixes from my other machine.. haha. The symptoms are that when I press "Install Updates" from within Control Panel, the update hangs at 0%. Additionally, when I choose to shut my computer down to install the updates, it doesn't. Anyways, I've tried these fixes already, but let me know what I should do next:

SFCFix.exe

sfc /scannow

System Update Readiness Tool

Thanks,
Joe

Advertisements

Joeicam

Joeicam

Malware Removal

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,289 posts

Hello FreeBooter, 

Thanks for the response.

• After the first fix provided, I got this error: a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.
  • Attempted the second fix, and it came back with this similar error when I was attempting to re-register the BIT files: the module mshtml.dll was loaded but the entry-point dllregisterserver was not found. This error happened for the following:
regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
regsvr32.exe wintrust.dl
regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
regsvr32.exe muweb.dll

Should I move to the next fix, or attempt to get these files back on my machine?

Thanks a lot,
Joe