Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 will not boot from SSD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey guys, really hoping someone can help. 

So, I have a Toshiba satellite laptop, not sure the exact model off hand. It used to have windows 8, I upgraded to 10 like a year ago. 

I bought an ssd (samsung evo 1tb) for it and mirrored everything from the old hard drive to the ssd using a drive enclosure. Now the ssd is used as an internal ssd.

It was working just fine for a while until yesterday when it stopped booting.  Backtracking a bit, I was trying to troubleshoot an issue I was having with firefox not being able to download anything. That's not the problem I'm trying to fix here, but it might put this in context a bit. I was trying all kinds of things to fix it. When I first got my SSD I kept hearing about how doing certain things would kill the ssd, so I had done something with pagefiles and cache's trying to allow my external hard drive take on any repetitive writing tasks. Couldn't really tell you in detail what I did as this was a while ago and I don't have the links on hand.

Anyway, fast forward to more recent, I figured something I had done thing had broken firefox's ability to download anything. Another odd thing I was attempting to fix was the program fastone image viewer no longer worked without an external drive attached. For no apparent reason. Using another windows profile was a work around for these issues, but wasn't really the fix I was after.

so one of the many things I did was try to boot into safe mode or some other limited services mode but was instead greeted with the recovery screen.

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File  \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi

Error code 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools. 

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

1 and 2 just flash the screen while doing nothing. Only esc does what its supposed to.

Using another laptop I have tried creating a usb installation media using this. 

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Changed the boot order to bring up the repair options. Tried Startup Repair and it attempted to diagnose. No luck.

I then went through as much of these solutions as I could.

https://appuals.com/...ror-0xc0000001/

Method 3 did not give me a label with "system reserved" so I just applied to one I saw with just "system" on it out of desperation, which didn't work and I'm guessing will need to be reversed? 

But yeah, I basically tried to do everything except for the "pro tip" at the bottom, because I don't think I even could...

Anyway, while it wouldn't be the worst thing if I had to use the nuclear option and reformat the ssd (and go back to my pre mirrored hard drive, maybe remirror it again) since I do try to keep my most important files on another drive, this all comes at a terrible time for me, I need to have a system up and running for a video project I'm working on for next Thursday. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by -Kyle-, 22 June 2017 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I attempted to restore two times. The first time didnt give me any restore points. This was just with the usb installation device plugged in. The second time I swapped out the usb device with the oem hard drive connected via drive enclosure. This brought up 3 restore points. I went with one from January I believe it was. It went through the motions, self restarted a few times but didn't seem to work. 

And yes, I tried the automatic repair tool (Startup Repair). It attempted to diagnose. No luck.

Typing Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" it says osdevice unknown.  So I'm not sure which partition letter to replace D with.

Edited by -Kyle-, 23 June 2017 - 07:56 PM.

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows Installations: 1

[1] C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list? Yes  (Y) /No (N)/all(A):

Which do I pick?

Edit: went ahead and chose "yes".  According to the BCDedit command the partition I needed was C. so I ran the first command you mentioned based on that.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Log For example C: \Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log Note that logging is currenly not supported in offline servicing scenarios. 

I also ran that last command in the first reply, it gives me a list of possible commands, its kind of long to type up but if you need them I can upload a shot from my phone. 

Edit: It boots!

Thanks a ton. 

Now if I can just fix the initial problems I was trying to fix. But I guess that's a question for another topic, the main issue has been solved. 

Edited by -Kyle-, 23 June 2017 - 11:03 PM.

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

When I try Dism I get this.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc   /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ResoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Error: 3

An error occurred. The directory in the temporary folder K:\ssdtemp\ could not be created.
Ensure that the path to the temporary folder exists and that you have Read/Write permissions on the folder.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>

The K partition it mentions is an external drive I tried to move my temp folder to a while back. I could try this again with it plugged in, but would that solve anthing? Or is there something else I should do instead? Maybe moving the temp folder is what caused my Firefox download issues I mentioned?

Edit: pointing the temp folder back to the SSD has solved both the Firefox and fastone image viewer problem I mentioned. So now everything works. I just worry it might kill the ssd in the long run.

Should I try to run DISM again to fix that corrupt file?

Edited by -Kyle-, 24 June 2017 - 02:17 PM.

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hmmm....

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
© 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>Sfc  /Scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>

-Kyle-

-Kyle-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I've heard terrible things about that update, that it can only run ms approved apps and whatnot? Sounds like a bad idea to me.