Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice- purchasing new laptop

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

aying3

aying3

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am in the process of buying a new laptop for my master's degree and it has to meet the following requirements:     

Hardware- i-5 or i-7 processor, 8GB RAM (16GM recommended), 500GB Hard Drive, WiFi 802.11 a/g/n or a/c

Software- Windows 10 Professional, MS Office 2016 Professional

These are straight forward requirements and I was able to come up with a list of numerous OEM brands/manufacturers that fit these specifications. The difficult part of my search comes in when trying to find a laptop that will enable me to <b>extend </b>(NOT duplicate) my display to two external monitors ( https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B005BZNEVQ).

With my limited research, it seems people are having issues extending to two external displays (using their laptop as the primary screen) on Windows 10 OS or their GPU is not capable of having two external displays. My fear is I will buy a laptop that will not be able to use two external displays that I just purchased.  

I am looking for a Dell/HP/ASUS laptop in the range of $800 to $1,200 that will meet the requirements above and allow me to have two external monitors that can be extended.

Can someone list 2 to 4 compatible options with links?!!  (note: I will not game on this)

I will use an HDMI cable to connect one external monitor but what connection/adapter can I use to connect the second external monitor with the links you provide?  

Thanks so much

Advertisements