OS: Windows 8.1
Browser: Firefox 54.0 (32- bit)
Homepage on Firefox: www.Google.com
Search engine set to Google in Firefox - Bing removed from the browser options in Firefox
No matter what I do, all search results return with Bing results only.
So bad that if I go to Google's homepage and do a search from their homepage using their Google search engine, all results still come back with Bing results.
What I've tried:
1) I started by doing a "system restore" as the problem came up yesterday. It didn't fix the problem
2) went to control panel to uninstall Bing, but Bing is not listed. Nor are there any programs called "research", "convert" or "conduit" or any new programs in the last 6 months except Windows upgrade several days ago - two or three days before this problem started so I don't think it's with the Windows upgrades.
3) right clicked the Windows app on the bottom toolbar of the desktop, clicked "search", typed in "appwiz.cpl" and "run". Nothing found with "Bing", "research", etc.
4) went to the upper corner of desktop and used the search function to find anything called "Bing" in my computer. Came back with two responses: "search settings" and "choose whether to include search suggestions and results from Bing". If you click on "search settings" it takes you to the other page "choose whether to include search suggestions and results from Bing" anyway. So I turned all Bing searches to "OFF". It did nothing, every search result in Google still comes back with Bing results
5) I have a watchdog program called WinPatrol that analyzes my computer and shows all start up programs, delayed start programs, cookies, hidden files, etc. It showed nothing that indicated Bing was running in any file.
6) I've run EMSI-SOFT Anti-malware, Trojan Horse Removal, etc. Did not help
7) I've uninstalled my Google toolbar and reinstalled it. Did not help
I've rebooted my computer more times than I can count. Driving me crazy.
I do not feel comfortable using "Regedit" and manually making changes to the registry
Any help would be greatly appreciated.