Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

mike8o8

mike8o8

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, Im building a new pentium 4 2.4gh pc with 8x egp/agp and 256mb of ram But keeping the hard drive running Win 98. When i turn on the computer it starts to boot up but then freezes before it finishes starting up. I've done several tests but noticed that it freezes at diffrent points every time. Plus after the first attempt the monitor wont turn back on. I've tested on other monitors with the same result. monitor turns on but system freezes, every other attempt the monitor wont turn on. I've tried diffrent vga cards, the 8x and a pci card but they both have the same result. Hard drive works fine on original pc. As you can see im all out of ideas and would appreciate your help in determining the prblem. Is this a mother board or cpu problem? should i clear the cmos? Please help!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When you install a new motherboard you need to reinstall the operating system. Try this link: http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=479

mike8o8

mike8o8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help and sorry for taking long to get back at you but i dont think my problem is with the operating system. The computer freezes in safe mode and even when i boot to a start up disk with no hard drive at all so it wont even let me reinstall the operating system. Besides i have installed the hard drive in another pc im building, also with all new motherboard and components and it starts up fine. I've tryed diffrent hard drives with different operating systems with the same problem. I've built a few pc's in the same way and this is the first time this has happend to me. I appreciate what ever help you can give me. Thanks again.