Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External DVD drive problem

dvd disk software

• Please log in to reply

Qbeez999

Qbeez999

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have windows 8.1. I have a Samsung external DVD drive. I have it set not to autorun. When I opened the contents and went to install from there my PC stopped reading the disk. It seems when I open the disk the computer stops reading it. When I autorun on it wouldn't open anyway. Frustrated as I paid a lot for it.

Edited by Qbeez999, 28 June 2017 - 03:42 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I had a similar problem once.  Try:

Search for:

device manager

hit Enter.  Find the DVD/CD Drives

click the arrow in front of it to open up.

Find your external drive and right click on it and select Properties.  There should be a tab for DVD Region.  Click on it and then verify that your current region has been selected.  (The US is Region 1)  If not, select your country then OK.  (It will ask you if you are sure, tell it you are.)  You only get to change this 4 more times so make sure you choose the correct one.  

Reboot when done and see if it works better now.

If not Try Windows Repair all in one

Download it and save it then run it.

You can skip to step 4 or 5 where it gives you the same picture as in the above link.

Make sure only the following item is checked before hitting Start:

Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Reboot when done and see if that helps.