Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Win10 v1607 b14393] Unable to boot, sfc/dism can't complete.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

tanGee

tanGee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to get my Dad's laptop back to a bootable state for him after it started booting to a black screen with a flickering white box that was almost impossible to see before it flashed away again. I was able to catch it at one point and it was "Interactive logon process initialization has failed.".

I booted into the recovery environment by power cycling at the windows logo a few times, and tried to run both 

sfc /scannow

and

dism /Image:C:\ /ScratchDir:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:\install.wim

Note that C:\ is the directory containing the Windows installation that won't boot, and D:\ is a USB drive containing install.wim.

Both commands get so far, before erroring, CBS.log and DISM.log attached.

I've also tried:

- sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\Windows (this failed instantly, with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
- SFCFix (from https://www.sysnative.com).(this instantly failed with "This version of D:\SFCFix.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running."

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone may be able to offer!

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   601.22KB   429 downloads
  • Attached File  dism.log   46.11KB   443 downloads

Advertisements

tanGee

tanGee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

FreeBooter,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the steps you've mentioned when I get home. I just wanted to check, will performing the SFC check from setup media's recovery environment be any different to running it from the recovery environment of the current OS installation? I've already done that, and when I did, the OS (Windows directory) was definitely on C:\.

However running sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\Windows failed instantly, with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."