Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Outlook.com mail client

Outlook

• Please log in to reply

FAB64

FAB64

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have an MSN email account.  I regularly download my messages through POP3 to Outlook software.  I then leave the messages on the server in case I have a problem.    My problem is with the web client.  I have many messages in my inbox.  I want to mange them and move them to different folders.   

If I right mouse on the Inbox in the left column the only options available are Delete All, Mark All As Read or Create New Subfolder.   Option for Move is greyed out.  There is no Select All.

If I click on the box next to Inbox in the right display side, only the few messages visible in the pane highlight.There is no way to highlight and move things in bulk.  Only the few that appear in the view window.  Checking the first message then hitting shift-end to get to the bottom to highlight all does not work.  There is no longer a Select All option.

I have tried this in Windows XP and also in Windows 10.  Same behaviour.  On the XP machine I am in Firefox ESR 52.2.1 (32 bit).  On Windows 10 machine I am in Firefox 54.1.2 (32 bit). 

Any ideas how to do this?  I am talking about hundreds of emails.

Advertisements

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

I think I understand what you're talking about. I've tried to select all or select everything within a search parameter on Outlook, and they only seem to let me select everything in the current view only. So if I have hundreds of emails I'm trying to sort, like what you're talking about, I have to keep moving it page by page, which takes a lot of work and a long time.

I know it's not exactly what you were after, but what I have found that works is the Mail app on Windows 10. That's what I use to sort my emails now. It syncs everything back to the web mail so everything ends up how I want it in both places. In the Mail app you can sort hundreds of emails at a time and move them or delete them or whatever you want to do, and whatever action you take will end up reflecting in your online account as well, as long as you set it to sync. Unfortunately, the app doesn't work in XP. But if you have Windows 8.1 or 10 on a second computer, it is a possibility. That is the only practical way I have found since Microsoft seems to make it impossible, as far as I can tell, on their web interface.