Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start computer (Resolved).

Win 7

Best Answer brycrip , 06 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well no, I’m not sure the problem with the OS has been fixed. But I have got to my desk top the last few times I booted up. The boot order priority still indicates USB CD as the primary boot... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hello Geeks!

Can’t start my Lenovo 11e ThinkPad with Win 7.

Startup Repair can’t fix it automatically. I have Recovery files saved on a memory stick but can’t seem to boot from it.

Have also tried going back to the two Restore Points listed and neither one helped. Lenovo Diagnostics didn’t find anything. And I can’t seem to enter SafeMode.

In ThinkPad Setup the Network Boot is [ATA HDDO: ST500L] and I can’t seem to access Bios but I recall that RealTek was selected. Should those two be the same?

I have recently been trying unsuccessfully to install a Win Update (Rollover something-something) and have my automatic updates turned off while trying to solve that problem.

What am I missing?

And all help much appreciated.

Bry

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello brycrip,

I have Recovery files saved on a memory stick but can’t seem to boot from it.

Does your computer have standard BIOS or it it UEFI.

What sort of recovery files and from where were they obtained.

Did the computer ship with Windows 7.

Does the computer have a Novo button

In ThinkPad Setup the Network Boot is [ATA HDDO: ST500L] and I can’t seem to access Bios but I recall that RealTek was selected. Should those two be the same?

Unless previously set up to do so a computer should never be set up in the BIOS to boot from a Network/Network device, the ST500L which is a 500GB Seagate storage device should normally be set as the first boot device, the RealTek device is most likely the computer wireless card and should not be enabled as a boot device in the BIOS.

To access the BIOS, restart the computer and continually tap F1 until after the Lenovo or ThinkPad/ThinkCentre/Lenovo logo during bootup.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey philpower2, so good to hear from you again. I’m still in the DR living on my boat and doing computer wars!

I guess it’s standard BIOs. The recovery files were loaded from the computer just after I bought it; a year or so ago. Yes, computer was shipped with Win 7 and no, I don’t see a Novo button but I could enter BIOs, as you suggested, by pressing F1.

The Priority Boot was set to USB CD. I changed that to ATA HDDO ST500LM021-1KJ152; then F10 to Save and Exit. The computer rebooted and I got my desktop before it crashed again. Went back to BIOs and it was still set at USB CD. The change didn’t stick.

Hope your are well.

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Bry and thanks  :)

I guess it’s standard BIOs. The recovery files were loaded from the computer just after I bought it; a year or so ago. Yes, computer was shipped with Win 7 and no, I don’t see a Novo button but I could enter BIOs, as you suggested, by pressing F1.

Acknowledged  :thumbsup:

The Priority Boot was set to USB CD. I changed that to ATA HDDO ST500LM021-1KJ152; then F10 to Save and Exit. The computer rebooted and I got my desktop before it crashed again. Went back to BIOs and it was still set at USB CD. The change didn’t stick.

The changes not being saved suggests one of two things, CMOS battery or BIOS chip failure.

Can you try the changes again but this time afterwards try restarting the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) then let us know what happens.

NB: When you are in the BIOS can you check to see if the time and date are shown to be correct,

Hope your are well.

All good thanks and other than the present computer problem I hope that things are ok with you  :thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Time and date are correct.

I could boot into Safe Mode but the change to ST500 still did not stick.

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Signing out for today. Back to the boat.... I'll check in tomorrow.

Thanks, as always, Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I could boot into Safe Mode but the change to ST500 still did not stick.

That is weird, remove the main power brick and the AC adapter and leave overnight, while on the boat check the time and date again tomorrow, some modern computers auto adjust when connected to the internet.

The computer starting ok in Safe Mode would normally suggest a driver or third party program as being the cause. 

Something for you to do when you have the time;

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.) make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.  

You are welcome  :)

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I think I mentioned that prior to the start up problem, I was working with FreeBooter because I couldn't download MS update: "Quality Rollup for Windows 7" He had me downloading all kinds of "fixes" none of which worked. Could something I downloaded be causing this problem. I did go to System Restore and picked that last available restore point and it didn't solve the problem.

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey phillpower; happy 4th!

Not sure if you are with me today, but I'll be online for the next couple of hours. And as always, appreciate your help.

I went to remove the battery from the Lenovo ThinkPad, as suggested, and discovered I have to disassemble the laptop to get at the battery. It was late and dark on the boat so I didn’t want to start messing about with screw drivers. Did the next best thing, I hope. I booted up and got the two options: Startup Repair and Boot Normally.

I ran Repair. After twenty minutes it gave me the same old “Can’t Fix Automatically” and I selected Boot Normally and low and behold I got my desktop.

My intention was to run the battery flat so I just set the computer aside and checked once in awhile to see if it had crashed. It never did. The desktop remained open ‘till the battery ran out of juice. The computer has been “dead” for over twelve hours, now. I hope that accomplished the same thing as removing the battery.

I’ll not attempt a reboot until I hear from you.

Thank you,

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Bry,

We don`t celebrate July 4th here in the UK but to yourself and all your compatriots Happy 4th of July  :thumbsup:

Not sure if you are with me today, but I'll be online for the next couple of hours. And as always, appreciate your help.

19.15pm here and will be around until at least 2200hrs  :)

No worry about removing the battery, explanation, computers use a CMOS battery to power the BIOS chip while the computer is shut down, the BIOS chips stores the time, date and the boot order etc, if a CMOS battery or BIOS chip is bad every time that the computer is shut down and left the previously saved settings will be lost, these settings though will be retained as long as the computer is powered up and in use, hence the reason why the following was suggested while on the boat "remove the main power brick and the AC adapter and leave overnight, check the time and date again tomorrow, some modern computers auto adjust when connected to the internet." if you left the computer off until you got to the bar where you get Wi-Fi your computer could automatically reset the time and date without you being aware, this if your computer has this capability, will come back to this later.

After reading your reply #9 what I would suggest now, connect the AC adapter and leave charging for at least an hour without powering up the notebook, after the hour, power up the notebook to see if you get into Windows and then post back with an update for us please. 

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire and transplanted at a young age to Canada. So the 4th is wasted on me as well! But the Yanks around here make a big deal of it' Of course they make a big deal outta everything.

Thanks for the info. Let me work on it and I'll get back to you.

Much thanks,

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem  :thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay. I booted up and got Resuming Windows and my desk top. Time and date are correct.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Okay. I booted up and got Resuming Windows and my desk top

Good news, for now, create a new system restore point, try checking for Windows updates then get back to us with an update please.

Come back to this later if we need to.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Downloaded updates, except for one. That will be that Quality Rollup thing that I've been trying to install for weeks.