Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start computer (Resolved).

Win 7

Best Answer brycrip , 06 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well no, I’m not sure the problem with the OS has been fixed. But I have got to my desk top the last few times I booted up. The boot order priority still indicates USB CD as the primary boot... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Downloaded updates, except for one. That will be that Quality Rollup thing that I've been trying to install for weeks.

So you are happy that the issue in your OP here has now been resolved, reason I ask is because we can`t deal with an update issue in a hardware thread, you would need to go back to your previous update related thread or start a new one if it was unrelated.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Signing off for today. Some shopping and then back aboard for dinner. I'll just shut down the computer and we'll talk tomorrow. Thank you so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries, all being well your computer will still be ok and me around at some point while you are online  :thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
✓  Best Answer

Well no, I’m not sure the problem with the OS has been fixed. But I have got to my desk top the last few times I booted up. The boot order priority still indicates USB CD as the primary boot where you indicate it should be ST500. So let me live with this for a few days and I’ll get back to you.

As always, much thanks for your time and patience. You’ve helped me several times in the past and it has always been a pleasurable experience and I always learn from you.

Thank you,

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and thanks for the update Bry  :thumbsup:

The boot order priority still indicates USB CD as the primary boot where you indicate it should be ST500. 

It is odd that the time and date show as being correct but the boot order is not saving, both are stored on the BIOS chip when the computer is shut down and if one is wrong then everything else usually is.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Still working... I just wish I knew what fixed it. Did you do something while I wasn't watching? :)

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Still working... I just wish I knew what fixed it. Did you do something while I wasn't watching? :)

Bry

:laughing: 

Levity apart, I suspect that changing the boot sequence was how you fixed things.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Just wanted to check back with you and thank you for your help. Computer still up and running. No problems except the one in my head. What did I do again???? :)

All best,

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Glad to hear that all is still well and you are welcome  :)

What did I do again???? 

Correcting the boot sequence so that the computer booted from the HDD as opposed to a Network device would be my best guess.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey philpower, got an unrelated question. You’re a hardware guy, right?

I bought a router for the boat hoping to get wifi aboard. I did some research and read the reviews on the TRENDnet TEW-827DRU and contacted customer service. I explained I live on a boat and because of the steel hull, wasn’t able to receive the internet signal from shore. I was assured that the router would work in my application. And that my external antenna would work. So I blew $150 plus shipping to the DR and I get the thing and find it has to be hard wired. Hard wired on a boat at anchor. That would take a mighty long wire. 

So now I’m struggling to find something that will adapt it to wireless internet. If you have a suggestion, love to hear it.

Thanks so much...

Bry

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Cant be done i`m afraid, the router has to be connected to a modem somewhere along the line.

Not sure what is available to you in the DR but I used to have an office out in the back of a large depot and rather than pay the expense of having a phone line put in and then the monthly costs I got myself a USB data dongle like the one here

Satellite internet is another option, you may want to sit down before you check out the service and prices here

Cant do any more than the above in this thread as its going off topic and could confuse other folk that happen upon the thread.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks philpower... I guess I just blew $150.... cost more than that to return the thing!

Thanks for your help.

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and good luck  :thumbsup:

Is there no one anywhere near that you could ask if you could for a fee piggy back on their internet connection.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I temped fate by contacting you yesterday.

After dinner last night the ThinkPad wouldn’t start again. Same old problem. I used a Restore Point and got it going but it crashed 10 minutes later and wouldn’t start. Ran Startup Repair and, like always, it couldn’t do a thing. I went into Bios and reset the Default settings. It’s running now, but not sure for how long.

Only change I’ve made is to change my word processor from Open Office to Kingsoft Writer.

What do you think?

Bry 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

When you say it crashed do you mean you got a BSOD, if yes, see below;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab, Choose File then the Attach This File tab., bottom left of the dialogue input box.