Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video/sound stuttering during video

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hello Geekstogo, thanks for taking the time to read this.

My wife has a laptop (that we pretty much share at this point), and has had it for about 1.5 years now.  It's not the best/fastest laptop but it's met our needs and has not had any issues up until now.  As of recent, the laptop has started stuttering while watching videos (ie. netflix).  It will probably do this about 4ish times during a 50 minute show.  To my knowledge there have not been any updates of any kind to the computer over the past month, and this started approximately 1 week ago.  It has happened on multiple days now, and multiple times, and has happened every time we have watched netflix.  

The videocard is a intel® HD 5500.  I thought maybe it was a driver issue, so I looked into the latest drivers, but it looks like the laptop has a "graphics control panel" that has its own driver updating control.  I don't even see an option of looking for driver updates in the control panel, so I guess it just does it on its own and doesn't let the user look into it?  The latest driver for the HD 5500 looks wildly different than the one installed on this computer, and I'm guessing they are different because of the utility? (One installed on computer is 20.19.15.4549; "latest" one on intels website is 15.40.34.4624).

I'm not sure where to start!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Zylocks,

As of recent, the laptop has started stuttering while watching videos (ie. netflix). 

It has happened on multiple days now, and multiple times, and has happened every time we have watched netflix. 

If it happens every time you watch any kind of video and not just online such as Netflix you may have an overheating problem, to check out the drivers first try starting in Safe Mode only (no networking) and watch a video, if that goes ok, restart in Safe Mode with Networking, try a Netflix video then get back to us with an update.

To my knowledge there have not been any updates of any kind to the computer over the past month, 

Windows updates are most often released in the middle of the month, often called patch Tuesday, it depends on what update settings you have as to whether or not they auto install etc, check this in the Action Centre > All Settings > Updates & Security > Update history, you should at least find updates installed on 13/14 June 2017.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I guess there were updates.  I just checked and these were the updates. 

2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)

2017-06 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022730)

2017-06 Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022405)

all installed on June 13th.  

These problems started earliest maybe.. the 27th? I will try the suggestions you gave..!

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Ok. So I followed all the steps you gave.  When I restarted in safe mode with networking options, it would not let me connect to the internet.  I even tried troubleshooting it, and a popup appeared and said 'you cannot connect to the internet in safe mode'.  I retried thinking I may not have chosen the correct option, but the same thing happened.

I have not found any issues playing videos in other settings so far; ie 'twitch', 'youtube' etc.. it seems like this has only been an issue with netflix.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Ok. So I followed all the steps you gave.  When I restarted in safe mode with networking options, it would not let me connect to the internet.  I even tried troubleshooting it, and a popup appeared and said 'you cannot connect to the internet in safe mode'.  I retried thinking I may not have chosen the correct option, but the same thing happened.

That is odd as it suggests that there are no generic Windows 10 network device drivers available, as you can connect to the internet in normal boot I would suggest that you come back to this once the Netflix issue has been resolved.

I have not found any issues playing videos in other settings so far; ie 'twitch', 'youtube' etc.. it seems like this has only been an issue with netflix.  

Depends on how demanding the twitch and youtube content was whether or not you can compare it to the demands placed on your hardware by Netflix, that said I would suggest that you open a ticket with Netflix as the info in your reply #4 suggests that you only have a problem with Netflix, Netflix Help Centre here

You are welcome btw  :)

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Ok, so I have some odd updates.  My wife did notice stuttering issues on another streaming platform, so it appears to not be netflix specific. 

I decided to see if maybe chrome was part of the issue?  We tried using internet explorer and had 0 issues streaming with netflix for multiple episodes.  Since the stuttering begin, it has never not stuttered during a netflix episode (until IE).  We tried unistalling/reinstalling chrome and the issues happened again when using netflix on chrome.

Could this be some kind of ram/processing power issue?  From what I understand chrome is more computer intensive?  Why would this happen out of the blue though?

I feel like I shouldn't bother opening a ticket with netflix anymore?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
I feel like I shouldn't bother opening a ticket with netflix anymore?

Would have to agree and good troubleshooting on your behalf  :thumbsup:

Might be worth you trying Firefox if you do not wish to stick with IE.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Dang, it's happening with internet explorer now too.  I wonder why it would not happen at all for two days, and now its consistently happening every time.

I opened up my task manager, and was able to scrap of the performance tab.  I was super slow to screen shot it, so it's almost at the end of the graph, but both the CPU and Disk 0 were at 100% when the stuttering happened.  I should maybe change my wording.  The screen will freeze, and the sound will kind of stutter (if netflix was making sound at the time).

http://imgur.com/a/QZLmT

Heres a screem cap of the cpu/disk 0 info.  The moment to look at is pretty much at the 60 second mark.  

Think I should try a save point or something...? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Here is the requested file!  I did it while no programs were running. Did you want me to try and do this while the error/netflix is happening (or shortly afterwards)?

Advertisements

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Oops I forgot to attach it..

Attached Thumbnails

• Geekstogo.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Nothing hogging the CPU resources, note the low CPU usage and the high system idle reading, both are exactly as they should be.

I notice that you have Avast installed, is it a paid for product or the free version, if free try uninstalling it and letting Windows Defender protect your computer and see if that helps.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Yeah it's weird. Everything appears to be fine, until it's not. Ie. When I was able to capture my cpu stats with task manager, everything was fine except for the one moment when it spikes.

Avast is the free version. I'll try giving that a go. I thought windows defender was more for malaware than it was for virus protection?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hey, 

Thanks for the continued support.  I removed avast; windows defender is the only antivirus at the moment.  It is still having issues.

I ran process explorer in the background, and went on as normal to see if anything would happen.  The stuttering happened, and I was able to look at the logs of process explorer.  When the event happened, at 12:01:29AM, the CPU and the I/O had significant spikes.  I have attached pictures of the two to this post. 

Do you think reformatting would help?  What would do this >.<

Attached Thumbnails

• PC issues 1.jpg
  • PC issues 2.jpg