Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitors keep crashing

• Please log in to reply

Listening

Listening

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey all tech savvy people! So every once in a while, in a video game or not, my computer monitors are losing signal. My computer remains to stay on until I manually reboot it. Sometimes, weird enough, half the time my audio will stay on and i can still here it along with my microphone working but the other half there is no audio, also when the monitors lose signal the fans start to go as fast as possible. I have already tried using different hdmi cords. My specs: 1000watt power supply, i7 4790k processor, 16 gb of ram, 3 fans, a gtx 1080 graphics card, a Z97M-DS3H gigabyte motherboard, 2x monitors (one 1920x1080 the other 2560x1440), razor blackwidow stealth keyboard, razor naga mouse, 4x hard drives(250gb, 500gb, 1tb, and a 2tb). My gpu temp does go up to average 83C with a load but my monitors would even go lose signal before I logged onto Windows 10! Any suggestions?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   Listening,

My specs: 1000watt power supply, 

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

my monitors would even go lose signal before I logged onto Windows 10! Any suggestions?

Was Windows 10 a clean install or an upgrade from an earlier OS such as 7 or 8.1.

Losing the signal before getting into Windows may suggest a hardware issue, for testing purposes, once you have post your PSU details etc try removing the add on video card from the MB and using one of the MBs graphics ports instead and see what happens.

NB: You should also try removing and reinserting your RAM to make sure that it is secure.

Listening

Listening

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:   Listening,

My specs: 1000watt power supply, 

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

my monitors would even go lose signal before I logged onto Windows 10! Any suggestions?

Was Windows 10 a clean install or an upgrade from an earlier OS such as 7 or 8.1.

Losing the signal before getting into Windows may suggest a hardware issue, for testing purposes, once you have post your PSU details etc try removing the add on video card from the MB and using one of the MBs graphics ports instead and see what happens.

NB: You should also try removing and reinserting your RAM to make sure that it is secure.

<script type="text/javascript"> //</script>

Hey thanks for the reply, my psu is a corsair rm 1000 and I did a clean install of windows. I will try your other recommendations as soon as i can!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Top of the range PSU so less likely to be a problem, will hold off with further suggestions until we have read your update.

I did a clean install of windows.

Did you clean install the MBs Windows 10 chipset drivers as well.

You are welcome btw  :)

Listening

Listening

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Top of the range PSU so less likely to be a problem, will hold off with further suggestions until we have read your update.

I did a clean install of windows.

Did you clean install the MBs Windows 10 chipset drivers as well.

You are welcome btw  :)

So i don't have two hdmi or dvi slots for my monitors on my motherboard so i cant really remove it unless you want me to test it with one monitor? And the ram did not effect it

Edit: So I plugged one monitor into the graphics card and another into the motherboard using the on board graphics and when one monitor(the monitor connected to the gpu) lost signal the other monitor did the strangest thing by having a black screen. I could see and move my mouse around and i could click on things but i had no vision of what i could click on. Eventually i powered the computer down manually but i have no idea what that could mean.

Edited by Listening, 03 July 2017 - 06:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
So i don't have two hdmi or dvi slots for my monitors on my motherboard so i cant really remove it unless you want me to test it with one monitor? 

Not what was suggested.

try removing the add on video card from the MB and using one of the MBs graphics ports instead and see what happens.

Edit: So I plugged one monitor into the graphics card and another into the motherboard using the on board graphics 

Likewise not what was suggested, reason as to why, when the BIOS detects an add on video card on most MBs the integrated graphics are disabled by default, this regardless of whether or not the add on video card is working or not, I say most MBs btw because some of the more modern boards will allow both to work alongside each other, this is not mentioned as an option in your boards user manual downloaded from here and even if it was you would have had to have set your hardware up accordingly which you have not mentioned.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Listening, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.