Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.pst file not showing up on my external drive after re-image to W10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

artapia

artapia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just reimaged my work pc to upgrade my OS to windows 10 from windows 7. Before the upgrade, I backed up important files including my archived emails. Before this, I have been copying my pst file to my external hard drive weekly. It was a pretty large file, about 8 gigs, it generally took a couple of minutes to do. So after my upgrade, I accessed my external hard drive and I see a tiny little pst file. This particular file was from 2 computers ago and has really old emails,not the ones I have been backing up. This old pst is about 859 KB. I called IT, they said it looks like I have been saving wrong archive file. I can't help but feel this is wrong. Every week when I backed up file, it took a long while. I'm at a loss. Is there any way my hard drive is "hiding" my big archive file somehow? Like it's hidden. Could this be related to the new OS? I need an expert. Please help! !!

Advertisements

artapia

artapia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi FreeBooter,

Appreciate the quick response. I ran the Chkdsk command on external hard drive as instructed. It said windows scanned the file system and found no problems. I am trYing to find the old windows.old folder you were referring to. When i search the C drive, i am not seeing anything.

This is so odd, because when I backed up my pst file it took quite a while to complete. It had to have gone somewhere