Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard is not working in some games

• Please log in to reply

FufinaX

FufinaX

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I have searched high and low across the internet to find some thread of someone having a similar issue but have failed to find anything, so i am looking for help.

I bought a G610 a little over a month ago, and initially had no problems with it. It works perfectly doing desktop based tasks like office, and playing; CS:GO and Civilization 6, which are my normal every day games.

Then i attempted to play Secret World Legends last week (this is not a steam game), and while keys respond in menus and allowed my to log in, movement and action keys did not work properly in game, WSDA gave no normal movement response but it did if the keys were held down register a 'dodge roll' move after a half a second. Space key would jump properly and sprint toggle would work, but targeting (with tab) did not, Esc, Alt+Tab ect did work without issue. I spent 2-3 days trying to troubleshoot this thinking it was a a program specific issue with a new release. I tried different keyboards and it had no impact, the issue remained.

Then i tried to play TotalWar: Shogun 2 yesterday, and found that keys where not working in game at all, no keys work to bring up menus or to change key bindings etc. However Steam overlay still works as does alt+tab and ctrl+alt+del. Again tried multiple keyboards and all had the same issue. This made me think this is more of a generalized issue so undertook some testing in different games.

Alien: Isolation - Newly bought steam sale game, installed and keyboard did not work at all in game - couldn't get past the brightness setting screen due to lack of ability to press enter.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor  - Newly bought steam sale game, ESC seemed to work to go backwards in menu's and skip start up scenes. Space works to jump, but no other movement or action keys work.

Fallout 4 - no key response in game at all in game and in menus.

Stellaris works perfectly without issues.

Heroes of Newerth (non steam game) works perfectly without issues.

So in summary: CS:GO, Civ 6, Heroes of Newerth, Stellaris work perfectly as do windows desktop based tasks. Shadow of Mordor and Secret world legends have limited functionality, and Fallout 4, Alien:Isolation and Shogun2 all do not work. Fallout 4 and Shogun 2 have hundreds of hours played and working on this system in the past.

Any ideas of where i can even start? I have disabled the logitech Gaming Software 8.94.86 and it has had no impact. Changing keyboard has had no impact. Running games as administrator has had no impact. Attempting to repair and verify cache of games involved has had no impact. Any help or advice would be fantastic as i am at my wits end.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Hook up your old keyboard.  (not the  G610)

Copy the next line:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /s > \junk.txt
notepad  \junk.txt
Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.  Hit Enter if notepad does not open.

Copy the text and paste it into a reply.