Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ghostery.js ?

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

While reading a page on www.nytimes.com using IE on a W10 desktop, this message popped up:

"Do you want to open or save  ghostery.js from secur-ds.serving-sys.com?"

I never saw that before. Can someone please tell me what it means?  ..... batpark

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Hello batpark,

This relates to a cookie that is usually the consequence of an adware or advertising software infection. Maybe it is something which was left over after Malwarebytes cleared all the other bad stuff yesterday.

You could see whether clearing the cookies (maybe by using a program such as CCleaner) will get rid of it (N.B. never use the registry cleaner section of CCleaner).

If that fails to work, then I think perhaps that a visit to the Virus and Malware Section of GTG could well be a good idea.

Good luck,

Chris.

EDIT FYI the Ghostery normally encountered is a free privacy and security-related browser extension. It does not however appear that ghostery.js has any connection to the usual Ghostery which can be found at ghostery.com.

Edited by Channeal, 07 July 2017 - 10:20 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
Have you made any progress in sorting this out, batpark?