Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All File transfers hang. No virus!

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Forgive me I don't understand the request. First create a new admin user. Then do the temp folder test again right?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

No, make a new admin use, logon as the new user and try to transfer files.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Transfer problem persists under the new admin user.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Save it to your desktop.  Run Process Monitor by right clicking and Run As Admin..

Quickly attempt a file transfer.
As soon as it fails, File, then uncheck Capture Events.  Once it stops,

Click on Filter, change the first box to Process Name, second box stays at IS thirdbox changes to explorer.exe fourth box stays at Include.  Hit Add then OK.

Now click at the top of the page and then go down to the bottom of the page, hold down the shift key and click on the last line.  That should highlight a full page of events.

File, Save, Selected Events, Format: Comma-Separated Values (CSV) then OK.  It should save the file to logfile.csv which should be on your desktop.  Close Process Monitor.  Zip up the file or rename it to logfile.txt and attach it.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I tried deleting a file and it hanged.

I'm trying to attach logfile but it's 29mb.

Edited by phickspc, 11 July 2017 - 02:58 PM.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Because that log was too big, I ran Process Monitor again during a file copy hang.

This log is under 5mb & attached.

Edited by phickspc, 11 July 2017 - 03:17 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you want me to look at the whole logfile you will need to use a file storage service:

http://www.adweek.co...torage-sites-2/

and give me the link

The idea was just to save a single page of selected events which usually fits on the forum.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Okay, I will redo.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Log attached.

Attached File  Logfile.txt   9.98KB   483 downloads

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Another transfer that froze a third of the way this time.

ProcMon log attachedAttached File  Logfile.txt   11.85KB   499 downloads

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

This log is for a file transfer I tried to cancel which froze. The log captures when the cancellation of the transfer unfroze.Attached File  Logfile.txt   35.26KB   474 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The first one that was copying an MP4 looked like it worked as far as Explorer.exe was concerned.  It was constantly interrupted by True Image Home and Office's Groove.  Each time it get interrupted it has to save the current state somewhere.  I think it uses the pagefile so let's check to see where it is and how big it is:

http://www.worldstar...a-new-location/

Can you stop True Image and Groove so that they don't run while you do a copy?

The second one was very short.  Looked like you were copying a .Wav file to a network connected SDdrive.

The third called something callef freacPortable.exe Don't know what that is about.

I'm not seeing the error so you need to delete the filter, save the whole log file to the default .pml then upload it to one of the file storage sites I gave you a link for earlier and then send me the link..  

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Paging File is on C.

Set to Initial size: 12278 Maximum size: 30695.

Recommended (greyed out): 18417MB.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Copy the next 2 lines:

TASKLIST /SVC  > \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply. 

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Just before I send you a whole log,

I've attached a short log for something suspicious.

Is it normal for Process Monitor to 'create' 'read' and 'query' random files & shortcuts on my desktop.

Attached File  Logfile.txt   10.15KB   506 downloads