Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All File transfers hang. No virus!

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Try HD Tune in Safe Mode:

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly.  Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode.  Login with your usual login.)

Make sure MalwareBytes is not running.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Oops here's the hdtune benchmark results for my previous posts:

Post-FW HDTune Benchmark.png

I restarted to check bios. There is a setting for sata and esata, they're both in enhanced mode and have a setting for AHCI but are currently set to IDE. (I think years ago I had trouble getting my PC to recognise my esata drive so I had to set it to IDE). Should I change the SATA to AHCI and leave esata to IDE?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

SafeMode HDTune Benchmark (MBAM was definitely not loaded):

Safemode HDTune Benchmark.png

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Changing to AHCI is worth a try- if it won't boot afterward you can just change it back.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Tried AHCI, but changed back to IDE due to this BSOD:

BSOD post-AHCI enable.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Thought that might happen.  My understanding is that changing that parameter requires a reinstall of windows.  Might be worth it since it would probably give you a lot faster system.  If you don't have your original windows disk you can download Win 7 at:

https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that AHCI is the reason why I have slow speeds, usb speed warning and safely remove notification delays.

I remember that even a year after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, there was still zero speed issues of this kind, and AHCI wasn't enabled back then either.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

As Windows version age they pick up extra features and other things that require more memory and make things slower.  As an example when XP came out it ran nicely with only 250 MB or RAM.  By the time it got to SP3 you needed a full GB to boot quickly and run like it did when it first came out.  I suspect something of the sort with Win 7 which now has hundreds of patches.  Even if the AHCI is not the problem it will be very difficult to find any other problems since I have no control system to compare it to.  I am not going to handicap mine by turning off ACHI.  Since slowness is an issue with you I would think you would take the time to speed it up since ACHI should double your speed.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

What if I changed bios to ahci, then reinstalled Windows 7 to, then restore to a full drive backup of my current windows 7 setup. Would that work?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you just restore your data it should work.  If you restore everything including Windows it probably won't.  Could just work as a reinstall or repair in place without losing your data.

What does your WEI says?

https://www.digitalc...terpret-results

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Base score

Determined by lowest subscore

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Memory (RAM)

12.0 GB

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Gaming graphics

7931 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk

138GB Free (466GB Total)

Edited by phickspc, 26 November 2018 - 03:14 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Is that from rerunning the test today?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Yes that WEI result was captured yesterday, I didn't do any of the speed tests during it.

Edited by phickspc, 27 November 2018 - 07:28 AM.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Just wanted to say thank you for helping me up to this point,

I appreciate it very much and have learned so much and could't have discovered everything we tried by myself.

I understand that at this stage you recommed a fresh reinstall in order to change the drive to ahci.

I'm not in a position to go through that right now and am absolutely dreading re-creating my very involved setup when microsoft stops supporting my beloved windows 7.

I'm away from 20th Dec to 15th Jan.

However, if any ideas come to mind, please contact me, I'll get to them when I'm back.

Happy Holidays!!!!