Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All File transfers hang. No virus!

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I see two things which might cause a problem.  

First Search for

device manager

hit Enter.

Click on the arrow in front of Network Adapters (if it is not already open).  Right click on each network adapter and select properties then click on the Power Management Tab.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" OK.

Now click on the arrow in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click on each USB Root Hub  and select properties then click on the Power Management Tab.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" OK.

Reboot when done and try a transfer.

If that doesn't help,

Search for:

power options

hit Enter

Change it to High Performance.  

The other thing I see is it keeps trying to write to

C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\169.254.120.157

When I try to look at C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\ it won't let me in.  When I right click on it and select Properties then Security it tells me there is no owner for the folder.  I went in and took ownership and managed to get in to it and its subfolders but it's empty on mine.   The folder is used for syncing offline files so I suppose it is possible that it might need to put a file there.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I see two things which might cause a problem.  

First Search for

device manager

hit Enter.

Click on the arrow in front of Network Adapters (if it is not already open).  Right click on each network adapter and select properties then click on the Power Management Tab.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" OK.

Now click on the arrow in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click on each USB Root Hub  and select properties then click on the Power Management Tab.  Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" OK.

Reboot when done and try a transfer.

If that doesn't help,

Search for:

power options

hit Enter

Change it to High Performance.  

The other thing I see is it keeps trying to write to

C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\169.254.120.157

When I try to look at C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\ it won't let me in.  When I right click on it and select Properties then Security it tells me there is no owner for the folder.  I went in and took ownership and managed to get in to it and its subfolders but it's empty on mine.   The folder is used for syncing offline files so I suppose it is possible that it might need to put a file there.

<script type="text/javascript"> //</script>

Tried it all, the progress bar that would hang a third of the way, now hangs half of the way.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

When it fails what do the source & destination folder look like?

dir  /a  *.*

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

When it fails what do the source & destination folder look like?

dir  /a  *.*

I'm confused by your question and what do you want me to do with that command?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sorry.  Open an elevated command prompt.  

Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Say you are going to copy

E:\#COMPOSITIONS\In Progress\Solo Work\Riff Library\Spare Media\

to

\\169.254.120.157\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\ 

First change to the E:\ drive with

e:

Then change to the folder

cd  \#COMPOSITIONS\In Progress\Solo Work\Riff Library\Spare Media

then type:

dir  /a  *.*
That shows you what it in the source folder.  Probably easier to do:

dir  /a  *.*  > C:\junk.txt

then it will be in the file C:\junk.txt

I'm not sure how to get to the destination folder.  Normally we would map a network drive to it and assign a letter so we could do the same as for the destination folder.  You might just try:

dir  /a  *.*  \\169.254.120.157\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media

Is the device with the "removable_SDCARD" a phone or tablet?  Perhaps it is going to sleep too?  

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I am transferring the data onto a smartphone.

Here's the files you asked for, created during a file hang:

Attached File  Source Dir.txt   1.81KB   304 downloads

Attached File  Destination Dir.txt   339bytes   299 downloads

How do I find out if my smartphone is going to sleep?

I found 2x "RIM Virtual Serial Portv2" items in Device Manager "Ports (COM & LP)" but they didn't have any power sections in their properties. They did however have a "Port Settings" tab.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  That's what I want but I need the processor monitor log to go with it.

There should be something in the settings that decides when to shut down the display.  If you set it to max (30 minutes on my Android) as long as you can see the display you can assume it is not going to sleep.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

OK.  That's what I want but I need the processor monitor log to go with it.

There should be something in the settings that decides when to shut down the display.  If you set it to max (30 minutes on my Android) as long as you can see the display you can assume it is not going to sleep.

Can you use the old process monitor logs, since I have been using the same files, source & destination for diagnostics.

Otherwise how can I do both the process monitor & CMD request at the same time?

Btw, the smartphone has a screen timeout limit of 5minutes, except for when it's plugged into pc via usb (which it is). It hanged today after 37 seconds.

Edited by phickspc, 17 July 2017 - 07:36 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Best if I have both done for the same transfer.  The CMD for the destination should be done after the transfer fails.  When you try and copy something are you copying the whole folder or just one file?

It seems a bit odd that if you are connected via USB that it is using TCP/IP to connect.  When I connect a phone to the PC via USB it shows up as a new drive with a letter.  If you turn off WiFi on the phone and then connect it up does it show up as a new drive?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Best if I have both done for the same transfer.  The CMD for the destination should be done after the transfer fails.  When you try and copy something are you copying the whole folder or just one file?

It seems a bit odd that if you are connected via USB that it is using TCP/IP to connect.  When I connect a phone to the PC via USB it shows up as a new drive with a letter.  If you turn off WiFi on the phone and then connect it up does it show up as a new drive?

Okay I disabled wifi using windows smartphone software and on the phone itself. But still the smartphone shows up and allows me to connect from my PC to it via wifi.

Nevertheless I have been conducting the transfer using the drive mount access which you'll see as drive letter Y: in the Destination.txt.

Yes I'm copying a folder from one directory to another.

The procedure I just performed went like this:

1.Start Transfer.

2.Launch Process Monitor.

3.Stop & save process monitor logfile 2-4seconds after transfer froze.

4.Launch CMD.

5.Navigate to destination folder and then Save dir in Attached File  Destination.txt   339bytes   322 downloads

6.Navigate to destination folder and then Save dir in Attached File  Source.txt   1.81KB   303 downloads

Edited by phickspc, 18 July 2017 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Odd Y: does not show up in the log.

The only time I see PowerRequestOverride showing up is at the end of the first file.  So you would think it might have something to do with it.  

Start the transfer then open an elevated command Prompt.  Type:

powercfg -requests > \junk.txt

and hit Enter.

Then type
notepad \junk.txt
and hit Enter. Copy the text and paste it into a Reply.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\explorer.exe
A file copy operation is in progress.
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\rdbss
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_3.wav] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_3.wav.peak] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_48.wav] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_48.wav.peak] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_5.wav] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_5.wav.peak] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_6.wav] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_6.wav.peak] Process ID: [3576]
A file has been opened across the network. File name: [\169.254.178.165\removable_SDCARD\Spare Media\Waver 1_8.wav] Process ID: [3576]

AWAYMODE:
None.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

For some reason, the transfer completed successfully earlier today but after a restart it froze.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The powercfg results are about what you would expect.  Windows knows that something is going on so shouldn't be going to sleep or turning stuff off to save power.

Do you have a card reader?  I wonder if you could stick the SD Card into a reader and write to it directly.  

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Do you have a card reader?  I wonder if you could stick the SD Card into a reader and write to it directly.  

Do you mean as an experiment or as a workaround?