Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All File transfers hang. No virus!

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Can you give me a process monitor log of the time between when you plug in a device and when it becomes available?

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

This logfile was captured by process monitor when epson scanner was plugged in and the capture was stopped when the 'this device can run faster' warning appeared in system tray.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Apparently I don't have permission to get the file plus it appears to be a txt file.  Best to save with the native process monitor extension

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Apparently I don't have permission to get the file plus it appears to be a txt file.  Best to save with the native process monitor extension

Uploaded here again.

I usually save these files as PMLs but manually rename to .txt incase of upload type limitations.

It's now a txt file.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Says I need a login & password

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Says I need a login & password

I just downloaded from another device, it downloaded & launched fine. Maybe clear your cookies/cache.

Edited by phickspc, 14 March 2018 - 05:08 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Try uninstalling or stopping Stream What You Hear SWYH.exe.  87% of the entries are from it.   Then make a new log.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Try uninstalling or stopping Stream What You Hear SWYH.exe.  87% of the entries are from it.   Then make a new log.

Done.

Warning still displays upon connecting scanner.

Log here

Also, not sure if this relates to the issue we're working on,

but recently, as I was checking my multiple backup hard drives via usb/sata/esata (whilst PC was off), I turned on PC and launched Seatools and experienced BSOD. Restarted and then that particular drive would read fine with Seatools, but then when I connected another drive whilst pc was off, launching Seatools created a BSOD again.

Screenshot of the errors shown via Nirsoft's Bluescreenview:

Seatools BSOD errors  Bluescreenview.jpg

Edited by phickspc, 15 March 2018 - 11:14 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The most active process is related to Microsoft Security Essentials.  You might try uninstalling it and see if things go faster.  The other process is something called HTC Sync Manager. or HSMServiceEntry.exe  Not sure why it has to run for a scanner but I suppose it checks to see if you have plugged in a phone. 

Can't seem to find where it tells you about USB speed.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

HTC Sync Manager. or HSMServiceEntry.exe was installed a week ago but I end task'd it from task manager.

Uninstalled MSE but the usb warning still occured.

Log here.

Please note: this time I allowed the log to continue capturing a few more seconds after seeing the usb warning incase it didn't capture it in the log last time around.

Additionally, when I clicked to remove usb & esata, still had to wait a long time before it allowed me to disconnect the drive.

Since MSE didnt solve the problem, I have now system restored it.

Edited by phickspc, 16 March 2018 - 04:34 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The log is defective.  No Process Names & no PIDs. 

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

The log is defective.  No Process Names & no PIDs. 

Sorry.

Here's another one

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
High Resolution Date & Time:    3/16/2018 6:30:13.4705060 PM
Event Class:    Registry
Operation:    RegOpenKey
Result:    ACCESS DENIED
Path:    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000
TID:    892
Duration:    0.0000594
Desired Access:    Read/Write

I have this key and have no problem accessing it.  There may be a permission error.  Open regedit and navigate to the key and see if you can Take Ownership and give System & Administrators Full Control.

https://www.howtogee...y-in-windows-7/

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

High Resolution Date & Time:    3/16/2018 6:30:13.4705060 PM
Event Class:    Registry
Operation:    RegOpenKey
Result:    ACCESS DENIED
Path:    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000
TID:    892
Duration:    0.0000594
Desired Access:    Read/Write

I have this key and have no problem accessing it.  There may be a permission error.  Open regedit and navigate to the key and see if you can Take Ownership and give System & Administrators Full Control.

https://www.howtogee...y-in-windows-7/

Thanks, I found three identical folders wth the long name {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f} and made sure I could access each subfolder, but found two that weren't allowed, but then I checked the read permission boxes anyway but it said I don't have the rights to do so. I clicked cancel and then restarted and was able to access the three identical folders & subfolders.

I connected scanner but the warning still showed.

Click here for New log.

Edited by phickspc, 18 March 2018 - 08:44 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

There is really only key with the name:

{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}

Note the fc6 at the end of the first group of numbers.

There should be a sub key under {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f} called 0000

Do you see it?

If not right click on {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f} and export the key to your desktop.  Call it whatever you want.  Then right click on it and Edit and copy and paste the text into a reply.