Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unworkable or CPU Changed BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply

WFFL

WFFL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: Non-technical newbie here. Decided to venture out and update my daughters computer with new motherboard, processor and DDR Memeory. Bought a combo special from TigerDirect, KV7-V Motherboard, with AMD Athlon XP 2900 2.08 GHz with 512MB PC3200 DDR 400 MHz Memory and went ahead & ripped her computer apart & installed the new components. Booted up machine and initially machine would start and then immediately stop, but I was able to figure out it had something to do with start button, which after trial and error just disconnected 1 wire and now it boots up. The problem I cannot fix is in the initial boot before hit hits Windows, there is an error message that says, "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU in softmenu. The setting which I believe they refer to is set at CPU deafult, and under that unhighlighted is CPU 200 Mhz, Ratio 6:2:1 & multuplier = 10. If I hit F1 to bypass the BIOS screens, the computer boots up fine with no problems. When I go to control panel, system, it says AMD 994MHz, 512 MB RAM. I remember seeing in the softmenu it mentions to set CPU to 100MHZ or 133MHz, or something like that, but when I changed the setting from default to another number the computer immediately shuts down. I did do some reading and I know you need to set the BIOS to the speed of the new CPU, but how do you do it and what do I set it to? Oh by the way, I also bought the matching CPU fan and installed that as well. Sorry for the lengthy explanation, you can probably tell I'm new at this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Did you try going into bios and load the optimized defaults then save and exit.

If this don't work or you already tried post back but the cpu freq/fsb should be set at 166 mhz

Rick

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your help. Just for the heck of it when I went into the BIOS and chage the FSB setting I immediately hit save before I left that field, and BINGO! Working like a charm. This whole project was a test to see if I could actually change out a motherboard. Now that I was succesful, I have my own personal computer that I'm going to go nuts on. So I'm sure you'll see me agian. Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to help me. If you really knew how little I know about this stuff you probably would have told be to go to Dell! (HaHa!) Talk to you soon.