Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tablet vs Phone - Processor Cores

• Please log in to reply

w34z3l

w34z3l

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the following, or can explain the reason why.

- Fastest modern phones have hexa or octa core processor.

- Fastest modern tablets i.e 2 in 1 (such as surface pro or transformer 3) have dual core processors.

Is there a reason for this? Surely if a phone can take an octa-core processor, then a tablet which is physically bigger should be able to do so.

I also noticed that phone manufacturers like to talk about how many cores a phone's processor has and use it as a selling point. Tablet manufacturers seem silent on this to the point where it is necessary to check a site other than the manufacturer's in order to figure out how many cores the processor in their device has.

Am I missing something?

Advertisements

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

On the surface, this certainly seems like a cut-and-dry case of technology being weird, or companies doing weird things for weird reasons. I'll explain a bit how processors work, the differences, and hopefully at some point I answer your question!

BLUF: Tablets can suffer a bigger hit on battery life to allow for better and faster processors, where phones employ an energy-saving processor combination to be more efficient.

Processors work in a myriad of ways, all dependent on the model, year made, company, and purpose. When you have things like dual, quad, or octa-core processors, they have the opportunity to process instructions and data depending on the current use of the device.

If you're just browsing your home screen, you don't need a lot of processing power, so the device will employ the least energy-intensive processor core it can to do the task. When you start doing things like playing games, or watching/interacting with 3-D images/videos/etc, it becomes more processor-intensive, so likely the device will employ all of its processors and, in turn, drain a bit of the battery.

Phones with octa-core processors will commonly be only truly dual-quad-core processors, where they have two sets of quad-core processors, one of which runs constantly, handling all of the basic tasks, but then turns the second set on when more intensive things are required. This is (usually) quite energy efficient, where one processor can be very good at doing basic things at a small energy cost, instead of having multiple processors (or, just one really energy-dependent) processor running all of the time.

Where tablets can spend a bit more on internal hardware and battery space, they can allow for the dual or quad-core processors that may be a bit better in terms of the ability to do complex tasks at fast speeds, but at a bigger cost to the battery, since the device can suffer that hit.

​If you want to read the article that I drew some of my information from, click this link.

Existing_One

Existing_One

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Simple ARM vs X86 ? ARM is designed to get an efficiency on power consumption rather than forcing everything to the power. More cores does not mean more power since everything would back on the performance of the each core. 2 Cortex A72 is better than 4 cores a53 because of what? The performance of single core. The most powerful ARM processor right now i guess is on the Tegra X1 that is packed on Nintendo Switch.