Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which PC will most appropriate for running Windows 10?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a new all-in-one, either HP Pavillion 24 or Lenovo Idea Centre 300. The Lenovo model is a lot cheaper but comes with a Corei3 processor. The HP one has a AMD A12 processor. They both have 8GB of ram and come with Windows 10.

What I'm concerned about is their performance running Windows 10. I've heard that some computers with windows 10 make a lot more noise than usual (or at least their fans do). I'm worried that if I buy the Lenovo it will make a lot more noise running Windows 10 because of its weaker processor.

Is there likely to be a difference in the noise level for this reason? Will there be any other major differences between the two?

Thanks for any advice

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello ira_gaines,

What I'm concerned about is their performance running Windows 10. I've heard that some computers with windows 10 make a lot more noise than usual (or at least their fans do). I'm worried that if I buy the Lenovo it will make a lot more noise running Windows 10 because of its weaker processor.

Not sure where you read the above but it is a bit off in suggesting that computers running Windows 10 make any more noise than if running any other OS.

What can make a difference is if the graphics are provided by the CPU as opposed to an add on video card or a graphics chip that is integrated into the MB, this is because the CPU has to work harder and depending on the type of load that the computer is under the CPU cooling fan may run faster and for longer at higher rpms to keep the processor cool.

Budget asides for now, your purchase should be based on what the main use of the computer will be, if only for school or office type work then an i3 CPU with integrated graphics would be fine but when you bring gaming or streaming videos into the equation you are better off with a computer that has an add on video card and better case cooling as standard, something that you do not always get with brand name pre-built computers.

Let us know what the main use of the computer will be and post links to the two computers mentioned in your OP and we will take a look at them for you.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Not sure where you read the above but it is a bit off in suggesting that computers running Windows 10 make any more noise than if running any other OS.

The reason I ask is when I searched "Fan noise windows 10" in google and there are many forum links and YouTube videos where people have reported this problem after upgrading to Windows 10. I believe the same thing may have happened to my PC when it was upgraded to W10 after a repair recently.

Let us know what the main use of the computer will be and post links to the two computers mentioned in your OP and we will take a look at them for you.

Im not a gamer, but I do stream and play a lot of video media.

This is the Lenovo model

https://www.johnlewi...-black/p3137264

This is the HP Pavillion model

http://www.currys.co...CFdGLUQodCYYKlw

Edited by ira_gaines, 12 July 2017 - 12:32 AM.

Fiannati

Fiannati

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

try to build a fanless computer, I guess, it is possible with i3 processor.
But I don't know how it could be possible to find a w10 computer too noisy. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Of the two the more expensive HP would be better and for the reasons explained by Freebooter above.

Edit to add, for your intended use you could save yourself a large chunk of cash by going for the computer here

I am not a fan of HDDs larger than 1TB and AIOs can run rather hot which can cause problems with HDDs over time, much easier to keep a 1TB HDD backed up than a 2TB that you may never actually get the benefit of fully using.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you ira_gaines, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.