Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommended Anti Virus or Anti Malware Please

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hi,

I have found G2G a lot of help in the past & now I need some sage advice please!

I have been using Avast & Malwarebytes for a few years now & have had no problems. Now I have 2 x laptops & a desktop PC to protect & so the cost of protection is becoming an issue but still I would like good protection.

A recent general Google search on anti-virus & Malware recommended products gave me the following & in this order:

Total AV

Scanguard

Malwarebytes

McAfee

Norton

Bullguard

PC Protect

Bitdefender

Kaspersky Lab

AVG.....Avast was not in the Top 10!

I understand these programs are only OK until you have a problem, so in many ways one could be just as good as another.......

Any recommendations or inputs would be very welcome!  :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Nothing wrong with the free Avast and free MalwareBytes.  That's what I use on all of my PCs along with Cryptoprevent.  

The free version does not update on its own so you should check for updated versions once in a while. When you install it the default is NONE which is kind of worthless so change it to Standard or default. If you have problems after installing CryptoPrevent you can just uninstall it.

Not sure where you are getting you ratings but I have never heard of some of your top choices.  Check out

http://www.pcmag.com...,2372364,00.asp

and also the labs they reference.

I don't think much of McAfee tho perhaps now that intel owns them they may be better.  Norton has always had a rep as a system hog that slows down your PC.  Kaspersky & Bitdefender are the top two paid A-V.  We seldom see people with either on our Malware forums.  

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Excellent info RK.....appreciated!

I also just remembered reading in an online artkicle related to AV & Malware software that there really is no difference between one or the other now.....a good programme will be looking for Malware AND virus attacks. Also noted on the PCMag article that all the recommended suppliers have On Demand & On Access Malware scans. Is it now such that 'Malware' also includes virus, ransomware & basically anything malicious?

If that was the case then I guess I need to perhaps be thinking that maybe I dont need two protections, but rather one good one. Would this be not-incorrect?  :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Probably but make sure your A-V is set to remove PUPs and Adware.  Some of them by default do not and you have to change a setting.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Understood.....& Thanks again!