Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with running updates

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hello all! On my brother's computer, he used to have Windows 10. He got something on his computer that really messed it up so I went and used DBAN on it to wipe it clean so now he is back to Windows 7, because he had the "free" upgrade to 10. Now, I am trying to get it all back up and running. I have been doing Windows updates and it either fails almost all of the updates or goes to blue screen of death(BSOD from here on). I have been trying since Tuesday evening to get this done.  

Background... Google Chrome would crash to "Aw snap" screen multiple times. Computer would BSOD multiple times with things like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and another one I can recall would be "Memory Management" if I remember correctly....? We use iObit items and would get things from that saying it is corrupted. After the wipe with DBAN, the first thing when I did when I could, was put the iObit suite back on the computer and when I did the program was corrupted again. I have since removed it but the computer would still BSOD before and after adding iObit, before and after DBAN.

I run a Windows Memory Test but I can't find the logs in the Event Viewer. I see the event where I started it, but no results show. Could this be a RAM issue? A HDD issue?

Trying to do driver updates with Driver Booster or through Device Manager causes the computer to BSOD or they fail also.

I have updated BIOS after the wipe through the BIOS Internet Flash.

If you need anything further, please ask!

I have uploaded a DxDiag and SFC CBS log report. The SFC /scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" I can't upload the MSINFO32 file. It says it is too big with 7.39MB

EDIT: When trying to install updates, I get these errors:

Code 800B0100 Unknown error

Code 800705B9 Unknown error

Code 80073712 Unknown error

Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them. Save any open files, and then restart the computer.

Now if I restart the computer, the install fails on the Windows screen.

When I click on "Get help with this error" link, it comes back saying "No results found"

95 of 167 updates failed.

EDIT 2: "Memory Management" is one of the BSOD errors I get. I know I just got it when I hit "Restart Now" after a Windows Update.

Attached Files

Edited by heartgrave, 13 July 2017 - 12:21 AM.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

No good, I still get BSODs or Windows update failures. Overtime, I have gotten down to 21 updates from up over 200 so it is slowly getting there but this should not be taking since Tuesday to do this. There is something wrong somewhere. Most recent BSOD:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 50
  BCP1: FFFFFA808A0FD81B
  BCP2: 0000000000000000
  BCP3: FFFFF80002A6060F
  BCP4: 0000000000000005
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 768_1

Edited by heartgrave, 13 July 2017 - 09:24 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Working on this now! It is taking forever to upload so I will send it over in the morning(Just about 3AM here.) In the mean time, here is all the .dmp items I found and the MSINFO32.txt. .mdmp and .hdmp didn't find anything with those file extensions.

Attached File  dmp.zip   882.13KB   196 downloads

MSINFO32: https://mega.nz/#!k2...imiE5QGWFlocl-w

Edited by heartgrave, 14 July 2017 - 01:28 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Here is the memory dump file as requested from last night.

MEMORY.DMP: https://mega.nz/#!t3...RzKZA_n2gogNfn8

When I ran Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" it said it was drive C:

I have driver verifier on as of about 10:20PM eastern time.

I executed Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows through Windows RE command prompt and got an error saying that the Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I then executed sfc /scannow and it comes up saying "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

I rebooted computer back into the RE and got same message when trying SFC. I went back to normal desktop, ran SFC again, no issues. I went back into RE, ran SFC again, same message came back, saying there was a pending system repair. I entered this: dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions and got the following...
"Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Error: 3

Unable to access the image.

Make sure that the image path and the Windows Directory for the image exists and you have Read permissions on the folder.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

My brother isn't gonna like it, (due to time) but I can perform another DBAN and start over again since I just did it and have not put anything of his, that I took off, back onto the computer. The computer is bare right now. 931GB HDD and 883GB available. The uninstall list has 5 programs on it.

EDIT: 10:48PM got first BSOD opening IE while attempting Windows Updates. I could not see what the code was though. Something about ....IT_EXPERIENCE. I could only catch the end of it. I have zipped it and attached it below.

EDIT 2: Second BSOD at 10:50PM. Downloaded iObit driver booster so I can update all driver and during the install BSOD, something about...something_something_somethin_CORRUPTED_MEMORY.

I can't see it all because when it BSODs, my monitor brings up its input overlay due to it going to a blank screen and it blocks it out. See 10:50PM zip folder for this BSOD.

EDIT 3: The BSOD message I keep getting is SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION. I was finally able to see it. It BSODs on the Windows Login screen and on the desktop to this error. The keyboard seemed to want to stop functioning requiring me to have to constantly unplug and plug back in.

Attached Files

Edited by heartgrave, 14 July 2017 - 10:02 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

If it can last that long! I will give it a try now. I did the Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:/OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows in safe mode with command prompt and got a message: "The arguments passed to sfc are invalid. The offline windows directory specified points to the online system."

I went to device manager and did the update of the graphics card but said I had the latest. Will go through website.

Edited by heartgrave, 15 July 2017 - 01:05 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

For what its worth, I've used driver booster, and all iObit products on my computer, and have never had an issue. For many years at that. Since 2010 at least, on multiple computers.

I started the memtest86+ last night before bed, it got about 50% done before I went to bed. I woke, it's like it started over, no results of previous test shown. I now stopped it, can I find the results in the computer somewhere? When I stopped it, was at 47% and something like 339k error and only 4 passes. I will run it again tonight, where I can actually watch it finish

Edited by heartgrave, 15 July 2017 - 09:37 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I have 2x4gb RAM sticks, can I run with one of them if only 1 is causing the issue until I get more? How long should I let this memtest run for?

Edited by heartgrave, 15 July 2017 - 11:41 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

How can I get these corrupt Windows files fixed? I don't want to deal with them once I get the RAM fixed. Or should I wait until the RAM is fixed due to the BSODs?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

How could they have been corrupted? I literally just finished the DBAN and only (at that time) put the LAN driver on the computer so I can download stuff.

This brings me back to asking how do I repair them? The 2 SFC you gave me, was not working in recovery mode. I will try doing the repair install again.

Been running memtest 13 hours 49 minutes. 7 passes thousands of errors.

Repair install fails. The screen glitches out and freezes that way.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0526.jpg

Edited by heartgrave, 16 July 2017 - 01:09 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Thanks for all of the help! I have ran dban again and now will just let the computer sit, powered off until I buy the new RAM. I have a newer graphics card laying around somewhere that I will replace with as well. After I get the RAM installed, I will start installing windows again. Thanks again!

Edited by heartgrave, 18 July 2017 - 10:27 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

This issue has been resolved once I replaced the RAM. I also replaced the graphics card, but not sure if that had anything to do with it.